Perferated Film Installation

I was asked to give a quote on installing perforated film on a Chipotle that is currently under construction. They will be providing the film.

The contractor that contacted me doesn't have ferry much info on the film other than it is perforated.

The film being perforated leads me to believe that it is printed on the exterior facing side.

It is a total of 30 windows covering approximately 191 sqf.

How should I quote for this.

I'm not sure if the film wild come cut to size for each pane or if ill be required to piece it together like a puzzle making sure the image matches (if there is one)

What's the process for installing perforated film?

Is it similar to flat glass installation?

Any TDers familiar with this?

I've never installed the perforated film, but when I install for a contractor where I'm provided the material, I just charge my install rate per sq/ft. 

Now, if it's a 'puzzle', I would probably charge a little more since it will take more time to lay everything out and line it all up properly. 

Perf can be a little tricky. It is easy to rip while you squegee to the edge. And if you use a straight edge to trim, make sure you round the corner of the tool. Otherwise a point could catch a hole and tear it. Personally, I like to use just a black and white card to install perforated.

Gotta charge for the BS factor. Taking the time to sort out the "puzzle" pieces is much different than just yanking film outta the box and slapping it up. Actual thinking is needed!!

I've done projects that were supplied in no particular order in 3 boxes  that took 2 hours to find and confirm all the parts made the trip. Was very glad they supplied a good elevation drawing!

Yes you do need to confirm the parts all exist before you start.

Then there is being 200% sure the pieces line up .

Perf is also supposed to be a dry install. If you are used to wet install and have no patience you are gonna wanna stab someone with a dull Olfa.

Its paper liner. I peel back about 6-10" from the top edge  confirm level and plumb then lock it down .

With one hand pull the liner down a foot or so and with the other lock down the film as you go.

I was taught to keep the front edge of the lock down in a "smile" shape and you can keep smiling.

If it gets locked down in a "frown" you will frown. Then have to futz around trying to get the bunched up film to sit down and shut up.

The IJ8171 PDF at the link has some good info. Pay particular attention to the gap needed at the frames. As rubber gaskets oxidize they can cause issues .By applying 8914 edge seal tape it will help the clients graphic last longer by reducing the chance of lifting at the edge.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=install+3m+perforated+graphics&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=ubuntu&channel=fs&gfe_rd=cr&ei=ZzPaVY2GKcKC8QfVir_gBQ&gws_rd=ssl

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Graphics/3Mgraphics/Resources/eNewsletter/Archive/?PC_Z7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20KBP7000000_assetId=1319211387141

Yeah thats a good point, I work with a lot of perf since were a sign/wrap shop also and i've never seen a perf thats wet install. If you have no experience installing vinyl graphics it may be a bit tricky for a first timer to nail.

Archived