Acceptable Tint Job/Gaps?

Hello all,

Thank you for all your responses and thoughts! I wanted to give you all an update:

So I gave the shop a call and told them my dilemma. They asked for a few pictures and after sending the pictures, they said they wanted to redo the windows (quarters and rear). I asked about what their installer told me (possibility of cutting up the rubber trimming) and the receptionist was surprised to hear that. She said that if they don't digitally cut the film, they trace the window on the film, cut it with a cutting wall machine(? I forgot what her exact words were), and then install the film.

I also asked about the risk of the defrosters being damaged during re-installation and the receptionist mentioned while there always is a risk, it's rare from what she has seen. She said it's more likely the defrosters get damaged if the film was on the window for a decade. If the tint on the rear window for a short amount of time, like a month, it should be fine. She also mentioned if the defrosters get damaged during installation, I would have to buy a new back window if I wanted working defrosters again.

Is the information the receptionist told me, correct? I want to say I'm happy with how the receptionist is treating me but I'm surprised to have the shop's installer tell me differently. I'm a little nervous about the risk of defroster damage. What do you all think?

And yes, I do drive a 2012-2015 Honda Civic.

Edit: I also made an appointment a week from for them to redo rear and quarter panels.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as the risk goes we generally tell the customers that to cover ourselves. If you were my customer I would guarantee no risk of losing the defroster. I've stripped enough film to know the difference. I looked at a back glass the other day on a 90 something mustang that Yeah I told him there was a high chance of losing the defroster. Of course in this case he didn't care. There's really two methods they are going to use. Feel free too search them I'm not going into detail. One is bag method other is steamer. The amount of time this film has been on they shouldn't have a problem stripping it.

Edit.. The reason I say that I would guarantee on the defroster is because if I installed the film originally and screwed it up I would feel obligated to at least send you out with a job you're satisfied with. So if by the slightest chance it did happen I would cover it.

Is it a 2012-2015?

Could be just a simple pattern selection.

I think this one is a '16 which is a completely new car.  I've found a few cars where the vents aren't that great like the Forester, WRX, Mazda6, and a couple others.  We are usually pretty busy so I let them fly.  If someone doesn't like it though, I'd gladly redo it by hand.

In my opinion I think that looks like crap I have 17 year experience and my job is to keep the costumer happy.. and for this guy that tinted that car even do he use a cutter there is ways to edit the program and make them bigger. I also think that if they are on the tinting field they should know how to run the cutting programand handcut those windows have to be redone in my opinion.

Archived