Is signal interference still an issue?

A few years back I was privy to helping with a look into the complaints of film interference. The testing was performed on three different vehicles however, all three did not experience all interference listed below.

These were observed:

AM reception reduced to static with application of a dye-metal hybrid 35 or a Ceramic 30 when antenna was located on BG. This was a video feed at SEMA one year.

FM with dual antenna system designed to maintain reception even if a 18-wheeler pulled up next to you was reduced to single antenna capability with windows done in dye-metal hybrid.

Remote start was reduced to half its operational distance with an dye-metal hybrid 35.

GPS disrupted with dye-metal hybrid 35 when antenna is located beneath the rear deck.

Tire pressure sensor light lit up with dye-metal hybrid 35 installed to all windows.

Cell phone was not affected and Wi-Fi not tested.

WIFI is fine sir, except Apple's Hotspot

For 10 years we have been installing SolarGard HP Supreme on every single dealer car we do for Lexus, BMW, Lincoln and Toyota and never had a complaint. I have found lately from customers that they are told by other installers to not use metal films only because they have only a few years experience and can't cleanly install metal films so they tell them to stay away.

We have installed a fair amount of DREI on cars without issue. Have it on my van, no issues. That is a sputtered metal with Gold and Silver. I honestly think the whole signal thing is a gimmick. Customers ask me about it and its just because someone else said it. GPS antennas are only on the roof now, correct? Never noticed any reception loss on my phone. I tell my customers that I have never seen or heard of it happening in real life.

Who here has had to remove film for this reason?

I had to cut out a small portion of Silver 20 in a commercial install, a long time ago. They had a Sirius antenna inside the office. That's it for me.

I have tested some metallized films, Gila Reflective and Sputtered Nichrome Silver Nichome 70 with my EMF meter. They are both very effective at blocking radio signals.

That being said, to completely RF shield a car is actually very hard.  Radio waves can enter through any small openings. Any glass that has no tint on it such as the dark back glass, taillights, plastic trims, sunroof and rubber door gaskets.

Tint is not usually installed all the way up to the metal, and it may even be impossible to do it because of rubber gaskets.

So, some waves will always be able to get through, and likely the reason hardly anybody notices any effect. This is especially true if the windshield is not covered. 

A cell phone that is transmitting inside a car with metal tint may boost it's signal slightly, but I don't have metal film yet to test this out.

If you have a film and are not sure about it, wrap your cell phone up in it, folds the ends and tape it closed, then try to call it.

I was actually able to call mine even through the NSN70, although the network icon showed half, but normally it shows full bars.

The Gila did about the same thing.. I think it's a 35 or 40% reflective.

Edited by otterslide

Hey guys, I'm an engineer by trade with some experience in rf. Based on my experience, unless those films are grounded to the vehicles electrical system, rf waves would pass right through. Metals are great conductors if they have something to conduct to. Don't believe me,  wrap your cell phone in aluminum foil and give it a call. Did it ring? Now connect the aluminum foil to a ground source and give it a go. 

7 hours ago, ericmeadows said:

Just had my 2006 Lexus tinted with Llumar Atr 50 metal based film, and have not experienced any interference with cellphone, smart key access or fm radio.

You shouldn't have any, we have at least 200 cars on the road with it with zero issue.  There are plenty of Llumar dealers that only sell ATR which couldn't be done if this was a common issue.  The amount of alloy in it is small enough not to create an issue...this is the case with the majority of HP films nowadays.  For the most part, it is outdated information.  There are some films like 3M Black Chrome which has much more metal in it and will have some interference though.

Edited by DynamicATL

4 hours ago, DynamicATL said:

For the most part, it is outdated information.  There are some films like 3M Black Chrome which has much more metal in it and will have some interference though.

Although even then I haven't heard any complaints from the owners of the couple vehicles that I've done in Black Chrome and I work with one of them on nearly a daily basis and he's a bit of a whiner.

I tinted my own personal car a while ago in hp supreme in a  metalized  film ! And the one big difference I noticed was my reception for the fm went a lot further after I put it on ! The hp supreme says it’s 17% metal ! Don’t know if anyone else experienced this ! It was kinda weird 

Edited by Whyme