Yelp is the internet Mafia.

Guest bbvaldezjuly4th

Guest bbvaldezjuly4th

I understand Yelp may be a necessary evil in some places but I just can't do it. 

They have tried SEVERAL times to get me to advertise with them.

from my earliest interactions with this review site, I have felt bullied and pressured. 

I I was told it was a great place to put out my business information so I set up my free account. 

Within hours, RING! 

High! Thank you for using us SPEND MONEY!

politely declined.

post a few pics later.

RING!

money please!

get my first "review "

RING! 

Money please! 

18 reviews and 18 more RINGS! 

None me of the reviews stick.

first bad review ( sticks) RING! 

No no thank you. Once they called me several times I finally told them THANK YOU FOR THE BAD REVIEW! 

It moved moved me to the top of Bing search! ( totally did!) 

the bad review disappears next day. ( I drop in bing rankings)

RING! 

Look, I understand that this can be a valuable asset and I also understand that for reviews to "stick" it needs to be an active "Yelper" ( with 3 or more reviews apparently) 

but im not in business to finance or to endorse this company! 

I am going to get reviews that will stick. That's as far as "necessary evil" is concerned that I'm going.

i simply out of principle will not spend money with these thugs. 

Give ve me FB and Google Adwords ANY DAY over Yelp! 

They did the same thing to me.  Just kept calling and calling.  One time this guy talked me into setting a time to speak with them. I really didnt want to and was busy when he called.  The guy got really rude...would of

told him to F off if it wasnt business realted Finally they stopped last year when i told them i didnt need them. 

IMO, your website ranking is the best advertising. Ad words is descent if you manage it right.  FB is way better than yelp. I actually updated my yelp page a couple weeks ago. Probably be getting a call.  Oh yeah, yelp wants $50 a month and you get a stupid button. 

Edited by pbalentine

Yelp has done wonders for our business. I truly believe we wouldn't have been as successful as we have been without the site. I believe it brings us about 40-50% of our new business. We avoided the yelp sales people for the last few years and haven't paid for yelp ads or any advertising for that matter.But They kept bugging and bugging and because I wanted to find a way to increase business even more I took the plunge and decided to do the yelp ads because I know the site drives us a lot of traffic already. 

The sales people definitely try and pressure you into the most expensive package and long term agreement. But to get them off my back and try it our I opted for the

cheapest package and a 6 month period. I would have to say it has increased business and the inquiries I get for price quotes/information have increased 4 or 5 times. I'm having to stay an hour or so later almost everyday just to respond to all the traffic it drives to my yelp and email inbox.

Just my experience.

I swear i have so many reviews (bad and good) that i dont recall dealing with those customers. 

We should just all join in and post good reviews to each other to help each out :evilgrin 

Even if a review is bad and they have no way of knowing if its good or bad they leave it on there. and most of our good reviews

they "filter" . Soooo, when do we start :boogie

Guest bbvaldezjuly4th
2 hours ago, TINT said:

I swear i have so many reviews (bad and good) that i dont recall dealing with those customers. 

We should just all join in and post good reviews to each other to help each out :evilgrin 

Even if a review is bad and they have no way of knowing if its good or bad they leave it on there. and most of our good reviews

I have thought the same thing 

4 hours ago, TINT said:

Yes I think yelp can help and also hurt some business. I think in our case we have been very fortunate (so far). They say that they have some sort of software that can weed out reviews that are not recommended (ones they believe are fake or what not). I think they got sued a few years back.

I am not a fan of Yelp because how they handle the reviews.  If someone only did one review, chances are it is not shown on the front page.  Negative reviews tend to stick to the front page more then positive ones.  With that being said I do paid advertising with them.  I tried it in the past with no results.  They revamped it and I now do the base package which I average 5-15 emails a day.  We have had plenty of them come in too since I recognize the name and vehicle.  Even though I personally do not like them, I respect their position...same goes for Wal-Mart.