Quick story need advice

Today I went over to the detailing place to do the rr on the car the guy wanted me to do.  The client never showed, I waited for an hour and when I got there they even called him to let him know we were ready and the person still never showed.  And worst, the guy didn't even pay me for the work I did the previous week he kept dragging on telling me to wait another 15 minutes.  So I told him hey the guys not coming its been an hour you either have my check or I'll just come back for it sometime during the week.  He happily said yes yes on monday I'll have it for sure, so I left.  

I think I do have the skills but I am also well aware that all cars are different and in that there is some learning that I still need.  As far as the handling of the film, the shrinking, the hand cutting and the clean installs I feel confident and for the most part if I'm patient and take my time I do pretty good work.  The thing where I have doubts is electronics and breaking things.  On roll ups I've gotten really good at tucking the film,  but I also hung out with a guy for a while that taught me how to pull seals.  Whenever I do a car I haven't done I try to pull the seals and install that way but most of the time I either don't want to mess with the door panels too much or I tell myself to just do the way I know in order to save time.

When I decided look for full time window tinting I imagined I would work at a shop with other tinters that had more experience, I felt my learning curve would be small, it was just a matter of getting comfortable with various cars.  When this guy told me his plans and ideas for implementing window tinting into his detailing business I knew it was a great opportunity and I felt I could live up to it.  Later realizing that it wasn't what I was looking for I became overwhelmed thinking I might not be able to do it without someone else guiding me on cars I had never done before.  And that leading to me wondering if I even what to be involved with tinting in any way anymore, I guess that got me thinking a lot about what other work I can do or what I can study.  And leading to a lot of confusion haha.  I don't know, I have to make up my mind do I want to work at a shop and improve my skills, keep doing it as a side thing or just completely get out.  

Also yes to those that have suggested I take classes and that have offered your help and advice, thank you I know it would make a huge difference in my confidence and skills but I still have to figure out whether I'm into cars enough to do it.       

If you wanna learn this is the place in my opinion based on experiences film schools are a waste of money. Either work as an apprentice or teach yourself 1 job at a time. What I gathered from 2 washouts I've worked with is that they should've bought a lot of film, equal to their investment in film school and gained experience over more time than the week or two in class. maybe @flat rock stan would be of some help, if you're gonna pay to learn he's the guy to talk to. :thumb

"but most of the time I either don't want to mess with the door panels too much or I tell myself to just do the way I know in order to save time."

Get this mentality out of your head. You want to be really good at tint, learn other techniques. I tucked film for ten years before learning to bottom load. Now I'll pull a panel or sweep in a heartbeat. Guess what once you get comfortable with it you'll laugh at how fast you think you use to be. I will never understand why tinters get so caught up in one method and that's it. Cars are different so learn to be versatile. 

After learning I've taught two others this method one was a 20 year veteran the other 5 year, they both before refused to pull anything. Fast forward a year they both have either equal or faster times, and cleaner work. 

So it's on you, if you want to learn all techniques and be comfortable with tinting start practicing. Or just stay where you're at. 

7 hours ago, jh812 said:

"but most of the time I either don't want to mess with the door panels too much or I tell myself to just do the way I know in order to save time."

Get this mentality out of your head. You want to be really good at tint, learn other techniques. I tucked film for ten years before learning to bottom load. Now I'll pull a panel or sweep in a heartbeat. Guess what once you get comfortable with it you'll laugh at how fast you think you use to be. I will never understand why tinters get so caught up in one method and that's it. Cars are different so learn to be versatile. 

After learning I've taught two others this method one was a 20 year veteran the other 5 year, they both before refused to pull anything. Fast forward a year they both have either equal or faster times, and cleaner work. 

So it's on you, if you want to learn all techniques and be comfortable with tinting start practicing. Or just stay where you're at. 

So true pulling panels and seals makes life easier

Hou don't have to rush or work fast to be a good tinter either. Just because this guy wants to have you tinting in his detail shop doesn't mean you have to be able to tint 10 cars a day on your own.

Set realistic expectations for yourself and consequently for him. If it takes you 5 hours to do a car, thats what it takes.

You will get faster and more confident, if you want to. 

@D34 you are a fickle person and you need to find your balls, you are overthinking the crap out of everything. I would hate to have you work for me. You need to not fear what you can't do and focus on what you can do and expand on it. You will never be anything with that wishy washy "i don't know what to do" bs. Find your sack, do your work, don't make so many excuses not to work and you might actually make some cash. That dude gave you a great opportunity and you quit after a week. You had a great opportunity to grow on someone else's dime. You need to be more sure of yourself and drop this lingering doubt bs that runs through every sentence of your post. My advice is, get into work, tint every car thrown at you, it may take you a long stretch to do it, you may get pissed and have to redo it, but you'll be no different than any other tinter who messes up and has to figure it out and learn something new. Are you waiting to tint every single car a dozen times before you feel good about yourself? But hey the choice is yours, McDonalds is hiring until you can figure out that you have to actually make an attempt at something to succeed.  

Go back to that job, take on every car and take the time to do it right and you'll never regret me calling you out on your wishy washy attitude. Good luck, i truly hope you succeed.

Edited by Tint Slayer

2 hours ago, Tint Slayer said:

@D34 you are a fickle person and you need to find your balls, you are overthinking the crap out of everything. I would hate to have you work for me. You need to not fear what you can't do and focus on what you can do and expand on it. You will never be anything with that wishy washy "i don't know what to do" bs. Find your sack, do your work, don't make so many excuses not to work and you might actually make some cash. That dude gave you a great opportunity and you quit after a week. You had a great opportunity to grow on someone else's dime. You need to be more sure of yourself and drop this lingering doubt bs that runs through every sentence of your post. My advice is, get into work, tint every car thrown at you, it may take you a long stretch to do it, you may get pissed and have to redo it, but you'll be no different than any other tinter who messes up and has to figure it out and learn something new. Are you waiting to tint every single car a dozen times before you feel good about yourself? But hey the choice is yours, McDonalds is hiring until you can figure out that you have to actually make an attempt at something to succeed.  

Go back to that job, take on every car and take the time to do it right and you'll never regret me calling you out on your wishy washy attitude. Good luck, i truly hope you succeed.

Tough love.:lol Sometimes we all need it.

I have decide to not purse window tinting as a career.  I will continue tinting on the side to finish up the rolls I have and then I will concentrate my energies elsewhere.  I will be applying for a maintenance position for the city and if I am not chosen I will look for something similar.  Yes it's a shame, window tinting is not an easy skill to learn and I was there I had it, the contamination the shrinking everything I struggled and I improved and I got to a point where I can say I did good work.  But for where I am at right now and where I want to get to, window tinting will not be in my plans.  @jh812 you are right, it's best to be versatile and learn all techniques not only in this industry but on any, its the only way to become the best at what we do.  I worry too much about having the car ready when I said I would and that's stupid because I know I can take stuff apart I do it with my personal vehicles all the time I take them apart and I figure it out and I know I can.  I just worry too much about freaking people.  @Tint Slayer I appreciate your words because everything you said is 100% true.  I have printed your post and will be putting it up on the wall in front of my desk as a reminder of this opportunity that I let pass by but also as a reminder to grab on to my balls next time I am doubting myself on anything.  I do plan on succeeding I just have to look for opportunities and work my ass off doing something else.  Everybody else thank you for your advice this forum is great this post and your replies really helped me see where I am at and what I want to do.  I know you were all rooting for me and I have let you all down but don't worry even my close friends told me that I am stupid and I should keep the job but I am not stupid and I know I won't regret this decision, it just feels right.  

5 hours ago, D34 said:

and I know I won't regret this decision, it just feels right.  

I think that is key right there... I've thought about, planned, and got everything ready to start a side hustle..... and after all that, I (think) I've decided to scrap it all. And once I made that decision, I was 150% ok with it. It just felt right. I think when you get to that point, make a choice, and you are totally fine with it - that's the right choice to make. :thumb2

IMO....