Shrinking and Installing Windshields

Had a customer today that was getting Air Blue 90 on the windshield of his 2005 Dodge Ram 3500. (I know I know, should have bought AB80 instead of AB90.)

Shrinking didn't go too bad except for the passenger side top corner. Creased it on the first piece while shrinking. Did it again on the second try, basically the same problem. Smaller crease that he was ok with for the time being. I am not happy about leaving it though.

It's a friend's (and multiple time customer) truck who is slowly doing ceramic over everything so he took it and I will be replacing it once he is ready to do his doors.

Question is; do you guys have any secret tips or tricks for shrinking windshields? I usually treat them the same as I do back windows. I clean the outside of the windshield, use a Bounce dryer sheet for slip/stick and shrink as I would a back window. Please tell me it wasn't as much me as it was this truck being a problem child...

As far as install goes; how do you mix your slip? I use Film On for my slip solution and usually run 3-4 pumps (7-10ml) in my Polyspray 2 pump sprayer for side and rear windows. I ran 6 pumps today and still had issues with enough slip on install. I moved the film to my peel board, trimmed the edges closer to my plotter cuts and did a reverse roll.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Don't really want to be throwing away 15+ square feet of film every time I try to do a windshield in Air Blue or CTX.

(As usual, looking at you @jh812 and @TNTLady and maybe @Naples Tint Company knowing that you are knocking out ceramic windshields often enough.)

22 minutes ago, DynamicATL said:

Just on a side note, it is not called AIR Blue anymore...just AIR 80/90.

Good call. I think some of my literature still says blue. Today was windshield #2 with it and as you saw, did not go well.

12 minutes ago, Tintmaster08 said:

I bubble shrink top corners of windshields, and I always put more of my fingers on the bottom rather than the top to make it easier

I don't know that technique. May have to do some searching on the forums and YouTube.

Setting my "mid-point" higher may help too. I had zero issues shrinking the bottom half today.

@DynamicATL - You do a decent amount of ceramic. How often do you guys to windshields?

2 hours ago, ErieTint said:

I don't know that technique. May have to do some searching on the forums and YouTube.

Setting my "mid-point" higher may help too. I had zero issues shrinking the bottom half today.

@DynamicATL - You do a decent amount of ceramic. How often do you guys to windshields?

I wanna learn bubble shrink