How do you handle unreasonable customers? how would you handle this?

I would like to hear some stragtegies or ideas on how your shop would handle customers like the one I am about to describe? I had a customer today that just ruined my day and would love some support from brothers in the same industry.

We tinted a silverado 1500, just the 2 side roll downs to match the rear factory and the front windshield with a clear. 3 days pass and the customer rolls up in front of the shop and steps out and starts getting irrate in front of other customers saying that he thought we were pros and he said the tint job was absolute garbage. he wants a redo or money back. he says a perfect job is like how the factory tinted his windows. I take a look at the front windshield and its a very good install literally 4 microscopic dust particles in the bottom corner of the passenger side and 1 of the roll downs had 3 small dust particles on the bottom edge. other than that the insall was very goood. I try to explain to him the difficulties of our industry and asked him if he read the disclaimer that we send out with all tint jobs explaining what to expect, care, and etc. i did not once get angry but came close, this middle aged man was acting ignorant, uneducated and just plain mean. i told him wait a full 2 weeks for the film to cure and if it doesnt get better i will not redo them because chances of another installl looking bettert was probably very slim and i told him that i would just refund his money. 

When he did leave i did send him a text letting him know that his behavior was ignorant and he could have been classy  and respecgtful by pulling me aside to resolvet this issue. He blasted the text message in our citys facebok page. i am beyond frustrated. How you you guys have handeleld this/?

In the future record your interactions at your front counter, release video of them being a jackwagon. 

Since its too late for that send a cease and desist with notice of intent to file suit if he does not publicly retract. No refunds, pound sand.

Just out of curiosity what color was his truck. From my experience 50+ driving a red half ton with chrome base model drivers are consistent d-bags along with the bmw crowd.

We've dealt with several of these types of customers over the years. If he was that irate on his 1st visit after the job, I would simply offer to remove the tint and give him a full refund. I would not attempt to retint it because chances are he will act the same way and you just wasted time/film trying to make him happy. I would just cut my loses right there and move on. If you don't feel comfortable touching his vehicle again (like he might blame you for damage) then offer a 50% refund and he keeps the film. This way you still made some profit and if he has another shop retint it, he will spend even more money on the removal. So win win.

5 hours ago, DynamicATL said:

We've dealt with several of these types of customers over the years. If he was that irate on his 1st visit after the job, I would simply offer to remove the tint and give him a full refund. I would not attempt to retint it because chances are he will act the same way and you just wasted time/film trying to make him happy. I would just cut my loses right there and move on. If you don't feel comfortable touching his vehicle again (like he might blame you for damage) then offer a 50% refund and he keeps the film. This way you still made some profit and if he has another shop retint it, he will spend even more money on the removal. So win win.

I won't let a customer keep my work.  I lost about $500 all said and done recently on a motor home front sides because of just this reason.  He wanted to keep it and get back some money.... I said no way. 

@DynamicATL ,returning some portion of the $ may satisfy the the customers grievance but how would @brianhwang22 recover his reputational damage in this instance? Your solution makes sence if both parties are reasonable, but his customer is already setting his rep on fire in public. If he's in a small town or tight market this could well affect his future revenue and the damage can't be unseen.

I wouldn't give my lunch money to someone that is still punching at my rep online. The only winner is the jackwagon. He gets a premium install for half price and the installer gets a black eye in the public domain. I can't make good sence of it in this scenario.