My windows are now.... very, very hot!

Guest nocalhomeowner

Guest willie
Page 1 and Page 6 are different people asking about different things.

you gotta remember yoko some just read the last post and respond to it with no clue as to what the thread about :bingo

Guest willie
no I read the first 4 pages and got sick of the f*****, my response to him is on page 5, didnt read past that ....sorry

:lol2:lol2

wasnt refering to you - I was refering to emotion boy :bingo

On 6/13/2005 at 9:21 PM, Guest nocalhomeowner said:

Yes, they are windows, too, but I expected that.

Same product (GILA Platinum film) as used by the poster who complained about his windows being mirrors.

I have a different issue. I have vertical blinds. The airspace between the window and the vertical blinds seems to have gotten much, much HOTTER since the film was installed.

What it seems like is happening is that the sunlight now travels through the glass and hits the inside of the window. It is then reflected off of the film back through the glass. The amount of LIGHT coming into the room has been decreased somewhat, but the net effect is that the temperature of the glass is increased so dramatically that the window radiates its own heat both backwards (into the room) and forwards (to the outside) such that the temparature 3 inches into the room (just in front of the blinds) is markedly hotter than it was BEFORE the installation of the film.

Am I just misinterpreting what has happened? Or did I misinterpret what was supposed to happen?

I mean, I bought the film to reduce my air conditiioning needs, not to increase them!

Thanks

George

Ok, i have the same problem. I just decided to put my hand over the “installed window film” and its hotter than the ones without the film. Help Plz! 

17 hours ago, Guest Gila said:

Ok, i have the same problem. I just decided to put my hand over the “installed window film” and its hotter than the ones without the film. Help Plz! 

Super old thread but might need a new answer.  

The reason your windows are hotter to the touch is because the window tint is doing what it is supposed to do.  Absorb and reflect heat.  

Before, heat passed through the glass and is dispersed on the other side.  Now, with window tint doing its thang, the surface temperature of the glass goes up because the heat is coming back instead of passing through. 

Window tint always raises the surface temperature of the glass no matter what type of film it is.  Ceramic films will naturally make the glass hotter than cheaper films because they perform better.  

Edited by Bham

Just now, Bham said:

Super old thread but might need a new answer.  

The reason your windows are hotter to the touch is because the window tint is doing what it is supposed to do.  Absorb and reflect heat.  

Before, heat passed through the glass and is dispersed on the other side.  Now, with window tint doing its thang, the surface temperature of the glass goes up because the heat is coming back instead of passing through. 

Window tint always raises the surface temperature of the glass no matter what type of film it is.  Ceramic films will naturally make the glass hotter than cheaper films because they perform better.  

.....Ceramic film goes not "perform" better..It simply has different stats as to what it does with heat. Ceramic films absorb where as traditional films will reflect more of the heat. In fact.. with re radiation ..ceramics will in many cases perform worse than a traditional film of the same VLT. ...the biggest advantage to a ceramic is the low visible reflectance 

@TomTint  

Tint is for looks, security, and comfort from the sun. 

isn’t the purpose of window tint, other than looks, is the way you feel on the other side of the glass ??  

If ceramic makes you feel more comfortable, how does it not perform better ? 

I know you are smart, but I’m just trying to keep it more simple for the question at hand.  

34 minutes ago, Bham said:

@TomTint  

Tint is for looks, security, and comfort from the sun. 

isn’t the purpose of window tint, other than looks, is the way you feel on the other side of the glass ??  

If ceramic makes you feel more comfortable, how does it not perform better ? 

I know you are smart, but I’m just trying to keep it more simple for the question at hand.  

Performs better  ...based on what ? ..A simple Silver 50 will in most all cases actually perform better than a ceramic 50 based on TSER.. at a fraction of the material cost. Now basing it on a ROI perspective.. it will likely blow a ceramic out of the water due to cost and reradiated heat.. unless of course VLR needs to be extremely low ..IE, HOA requirements. 

As far as what someone feels on the other side of the glass... in virtually all cases a film/glass combo with lower TSEA will be more comfortable on the film side of the glass. ..This statement assumes similar TSER values between the specific media’s in question. 

Meaning that a traditional film with a 50 VLT and a 50% +\-  TSER and a TSEA  in the 35% range with a VLR in the 15% range will inevitably be “more comfortable “ than a ceramic 50 with a 50% TSER that has a 6% VLR and 44% TSEA.