we have a plotter at work mostly for PPF, but I spent 2 years hand cutting patterns before I let myself use the plotter for tint. I truly believe a plotter should be a reward for after you learn to hand cut. I honestly only use it for vw passats , mazda 3 and some truck rear windows. The rest I make by hand.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I like your attitude

everything you said is true, I've been planning on doing this on my own for while step by step, why? because hourly sucks

I work hard, I do quality work as well, but I'm only making my boss richer, hell.. if I wanted to I could easily do side jobs in my garage, but I'm super loyal to my boss, I'm just sick of the pay.

10710725_10152510306417648_8369919314193

I'm right there with ya. I've only been tinting for a year but in this year I've don't over 300-400 cars. When I started it is hourly 7.25 ... just learning I didn't mind, figured it covered the cost of the back glass I needed to redo 4 times. But now, I'm kicking 4-5 cars out a day. I may see one come back a week and for where I work (literally beside a body shop) I feel that my work should be much more. At 150/250/350 price tags for different film offered, I feel I'm very underpaid. I make 9/hr now and the boys days in January I'll make 10/hr. That's all good when you look at it but when there isn't a car to tint I have to be there but off the clock. In case someone comes in. With that said right now I've been at work all week and only have 9 hours. Because their slow. If much rather be commission of 35%40% and feel my work is worth it.

I was offered another place to work making more money, but this is where I learned so it's hard to just up and leave.

Any suggestions?

#1 problem with employing tinters worldwide is general lack of quality and skill.

#2; their GIMME-DAT attitudes.

Very few of them would have the first clue about what it actually takes to build a business up to a point where you can afford the "luxury" of hiring these ungreatful a$$holes.

Now don't get me wrong. I've had, and currently have, some great installers working for me. But I can tell you that I've fired far more tinters who think they do great work and THINK they are worth big dollars, than I've ever found good ones. I've always paid great money, provided great conditions and don't place unrealistic expectations on them. (4 cars per day) Yet somehow, for many a 'semi-skilled tint diva' it's never enough. I have trouble reading threads like this because I've dealt with far too much of this take-take-take attitude over the years.

I believe everyone should be rewarded based on their performance, but only after its proven, not before.

RANT OVER.. [emoji19]

I agree wholeheartedly Ultra.

I feel for the poor US tinter earning under 10 bucks an hour and the situation above earning $9 /hr and being required to be there all day but only paid for the hours 'on the job' just wouldn't fly with me ( or be a possible scenario in Aus with our laws).

But really, in Aus having to pay a tinter 2 or 3 times more than this, I feel that they should be required to perform to a very high standard indeed.

Trouble is most of the tinters who whinge and whine on here about wanting 40-50% of the ticket have absolutely no idea about all of the overheads and costs of just running a business. More of them should nut up and try to run their own shop and they would soon change their tune. I did years ago as well.

^I like your attitude

everything you said is true, I've been planning on doing this on my own for while step by step, why? because hourly sucks

I work hard, I do quality work as well, but I'm only making my boss richer, hell.. if I wanted to I could easily do side jobs in my garage, but I'm super loyal to my boss, I'm just sick of the pay.

10710725_10152510306417648_8369919314193

I'm right there with ya. I've only been tinting for a year but in this year I've don't over 300-400 cars. When I started it is hourly 7.25 ... just learning I didn't mind, figured it covered the cost of the back glass I needed to redo 4 times. But now, I'm kicking 4-5 cars out a day. I may see one come back a week and for where I work (literally beside a body shop) I feel that my work should be much more. At 150/250/350 price tags for different film offered, I feel I'm very underpaid. I make 9/hr now and the boys days in January I'll make 10/hr. That's all good when you look at it but when there isn't a car to tint I have to be there but off the clock. In case someone comes in. With that said right now I've been at work all week and only have 9 hours. Because their slow. If much rather be commission of 35%40% and feel my work is worth it.

I was offered another place to work making more money, but this is where I learned so it's hard to just up and leave.

Any suggestions?

You've been there a year.  On their dime you have learned a skill that will support you either there or somewhere else.  Legally you cannot be paid by the hour as they are paying you.  You must be paid for the time you are there, regardless of work load.  Unless there is a "training arrangement" contract of some kind stipulating you are still training through the first year and only paid while training on vehicles.  I'm sure you can negotiate a better hourly rate if you are good at this point.    I'm sure after a year you'd rather make 35-40%.  If you ask for that you'd better have a Plan B in order. 

Guest angelsautotint

Not sure if you are still looking for a tinter but I was looking for a job in CO and may consider spokane.

Hey guys,

I sold my shop out here in Las Vegas earlier this year and I have made the choice to move back to the Denver area at the end of this month or early next year. With that being said, I am looking for work. I debated opening my own shop out there, but I honestly don't want the headaches. I'd rather just install and enjoy myself doing it. 

I have just about 10 years on window films and I also do PPF and Wraps. I am familiar with all Avery, 3M, and Arlon color change wraps and have worked with Suntek, Xpel, Llumar, and 3m PPF films (new and older) I am also very familiar with oracle films for headlights and tail lights. If it helps at all I also do 12 volt installations and custom fiber glass(prefer to stay away from this unless the money is right).

If I can find a good stable job, I can relocated immediately. I come with all my own tools and I am more than willing to show I have the ability to tint or wrap anything that is applicable. 

If you need samples of my work please let me know. My shop specialty was exotics and euros for tint and large volume color change wraps. 

I am a single father, drug free, and responsible. I have several newer reliable vehicles and plenty of references that I can provide from distributers in the industry, clientele here in Vegas, and locals from there in the Denver area.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully I will get a chance to work for another member on the site. 

Guest Metro Films

No advice for finding a decent tinter...but once you do offer him base pay vs. piece work/commission. That'll let him/her know you value their skills and also keep them from looking for another job. Also you dont want to be paying someone $30/hr to just sit around. So start the base pay out as the minimum amount they need to survive, then incorporate a commission/piece work pay. If you're paying hourly then there is no reason for a worker to meet deadlines and what could take one hour may take 3-4. I think some employers are afreaid of commission/piece work because the faster you go or more work you do-the more you make-the more chance to mess something up. However this isn't always the case...especially since you own the shop and have the ultimate control of the quality that leaves your shop. Just my :twocents

Basically a guaranteed amount every week, and if their commission or piece work pay exceeds the base pay then they get the latter. Not both...I had one employer that just couldn't figure out that conecpt to save her life...but thats story for another time...

That sounds like a sad situation for a tinter. Someone tried doing that with me. It didnt work out i saw the same and the owner saw more...its just a bad deal.

Archived