Customer Complaining of Mismatched Film - What Would You do?

So I need some assistance in resolving this issue.

I installed Johnson's Marathon 30% to the front windows of a 2016 Toyota 4 Runner. The rear windows have factory privacy glass. Later the customer contacts me to let me know that he does not like the mismatch of the look between the front windows and the back windows because the fronts have a hint of green in it. Now I know the green is coming from the glass and so does the customer. But the customer doesn't like this. This is the first time I've had a complaint about the green hue in my 16 years of tinting and 7 using Marathon.

The customer found a thread on another forum (Toyota 4Runner Owners) which someone discusses their experience with having their vehicle tinted and the green hue and how to best solve it. If anyone cares to read: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/165175-my-2014-4runner-tint-thoughts-advice.html

So we were discussing options on how to solve this. Should I:

1) Remove the film and replace it with Marathon 20%? The person on the Toyota forum believes that using a darker film hides the green hue more than lighter films. Looking at other vehicles we have done I find this may or may not be true depending on the vehicle - what do you think?

2) Find another film that will more closely match? Or does it matter? I think Marathon has more of a grey hue to it - can any Marathon installers chime in? The person on the forum said that the first time they had Suntek Carbon 25% installed and the second time tinting the vehicle after complaining to get a better match that they did it with 3M CS 20% and it matched better.

3) Or what I have offered the customer as a last resort is to remove the film and refund their money.

Input please, Thanks!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Option three honestly wouldn't be an option for me. There's is nothing wrong with the film you installed. That being said I would try and work with him but if you're looking at different manufactures for film choices you could possibly get a sample to look at and not have much tied up in it. I would try the carbon from solar fx.

Sorry I was thinking the back had the green hue to it. It may just be best to let that one go then. We don't make the coloring in the glass we just make it stand out more.

Option 3 for sure. Going through a similar situation now and has been an absolute nightmare.. I am mobile and the one owner feels as if he can please every customer, regardless of situation or circumstances. Sometimes you are way further ahead to just let the customer go on their way.

Get the vehicle from the customer and take it over to a near by auto glass shop. Have them remove all the factory privacy glass and install regular green shade "clear" windows. Mark up this job by 30% and then tint the windows and recharge the customer. He for sure wont be happy about his bill, but at least all his windows will match perfectly and you keep your money in your pocket for a job that you have done. 

Archived