Whats your tinting routine?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally have been pulling most panels or removing sweeps if they're separate since I started, but I can also do the half and half. I'd honestly say that 95% of the newer vehicles (under five years old) on the road are worth pulling or have easily removable seals once you can figure out panels quickly. But for that other 5%, sometimes it's worth tucking/half and half installing because they're a mess to get off. 

It's really worth having as many skills as possible. There is no right or wrong way though, only one that matters is what results in YOU having an efficient and clean install. 

Also, older a vehicle gets, it may be easier to break things like clips, or even more likely is that somebody else has messed with it before you and just smashed the #&$@ out of it and you have to try and get it all back together again. 

I've never removed a door panel to tint.  Now with improved methods, over shrinking bottom edge, and a set of these (I've used them for years, https://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-KZ00CM20-Carpet-Shields-Painting/dp/B00DF20ZG4) if I tuck and have an issue with a finger, I slide one of these in place to hold the seal off the glass so I can remove the water and dry the film with a heat gun from the inside or outside.  I cut them into different lengths too.  You can also preset them before you start and do most cars with one set. It only takes about a minute or 2 to put them in place prior to starting.

3 hours ago, Dentpusher said:

I've never removed a door panel to tint.  Now with improved methods, over shrinking bottom edge, and as set of these (I've used them for years, https://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-KZ00CM20-Carpet-Shields-Painting/dp/B00DF20ZG4) if I tuck and have an issue with a finger, I slide one of these in place to hold the seal off the glass so I can remove the water and dry the film with a heat gun from the inside or outside.  I cut them into different lengths too.  You preset them before you start and do most cars with one set.

@Dentpusher

Do you ever use these for bottom loading?  Or just when battling fingers?

6 hours ago, Apex Tint said:

@Dentpusher

Do you ever use these for bottom loading?  Or just when battling fingers?

Explain what you mean by "bottom loading".  I haven't worked with other installers for so long, I may know technique but not the term.

Start your install from the bottom. The one's that like this technique are usually the ones you hear pulling sweeps, panels whatever the term may be.

I've seen that.  Don't know how they can get the bottoms clean like that if they leave the sweep on.  We have some dirt roads around these parts and the dust gets everywhere.  Oh and I found a MUCH better deal on the shields:

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/painting-tools/paint-n-pal-floor-carpet-shield/p-1444429978638-c-8076.htm?tid=-5126778826040542330

I use both methods. If the side gaskets are thick or if the panel protrudes excessively upwards, removing the bottom seal and doing a single stage (bottom loaded) install always makes for a cleaner result. We have extremely picky customers at our shop who pay a premium, and they will spot tiny touch up spots, even if they are only along the edges from a tuck.

However, if the side gaskets are thin, like on most Jap cars, I will use the old school 2 stage tuck method to save time.

I think knowing the more techniques as a tinter, the better. Keep an open mind and always push to get better and learn new things.

Peace

Archived