PPF Expectations

18 hours ago, BlueRider said:

Thanks for everyone's comments.  It is a full wrap and I paid $3500.  I realize that is towards the lower end on pricing for a wrap, but not exactly bargain basement or anything.  He did use Suntek which I know is less expensive material than Xpel.  

You got a steal of a deal...I only know of entry level installer charging that kind of price...to redo the hood will cost him $300 plus in material and labor...You got what you paid for...

I was washing my Ford and saw this. I know there is more, but this reminded me of this thread. I would say if it’s your paint you should offer to pay for re-filming it, but if it’s their work, they would probably do it to make you happy. I can tell you though, there are several paint imperfections on my 2017. 

0D14AFC0-35C8-45FD-93BF-38AC316048CD.jpeg

86226CB1-0B82-48B1-9C0D-FE0BA4D8D465.jpeg

Where that is true that most paint jobs have imperfections, you would typically go through an inspection process before even installing to indicate to the customer any issues before every laying a piece of film on it so that if those imperfections show up in the install, they aren't blaming you or indicating that it's dirt when you already pointed out the issues ahead of time. This comes back to SOP. With SOP, you have a way to create a positive experience without creating an opportunity for the customer to question what they just bought or the quality of the job. 

1 hour ago, PPFdistributing said:

Where that is true that most paint jobs have imperfections, you would typically go through an inspection process before even installing to indicate to the customer any issues before every laying a piece of film on it so that if those imperfections show up in the install, they aren't blaming you or indicating that it's dirt when you already pointed out the issues ahead of time. This comes back to SOP. With SOP, you have a way to create a positive experience without creating an opportunity for the customer to question what they just bought or the quality of the job. 

Sometimes it's difficult especially when u find imperfections during the install and the customers already took a taxi home. I just lay it over top and inform the customer after and most of them are pretty understanding. Can't wait for every customer to come back to have a look.

I think this is a really healthy conversation as those two points bring it back to SOP. Yes, we are all human so we can miss something so I get that. But certainly you should be able to bring it into the light inside after it's been washed so that you can utilize better lighting than looking at it outside to go over all the areas they are interested in, maybe even make some suggestions on possible additions. The above comment just doesn't hold true. That's risking speed to get the customer in and out without doing a proper inspection process. I know all of you have experienced someone who blamed something on you when it had nothing to do with you. Peeling paint, scratch/cut on the paint, paint chip, or even an imperfection in the paint but they think it's a piece of dirt when it's not. Even though they bring the car to you mud covered, that's on you for not washing the car off to give it an inspection so they can green light what you are about to do and understand what the product is and isn't. You prevent the other issues from popping up because you've done your due diligence by having a good standard operating procedure. Even having the customer look at the job before they leave with it so they can bring up any questions while they are in your presence can save your customer a trip back to your shop. They utilize the same practice in hospitals to prevent procedural complications from happening, like doing surgery on the wrong side of the body. Now i'm not criticizing you and waiving the finger you are bad. It's more so introducing the ideas of having an SOP to prevent those situations from happening or at least reducing the occurrences in the first place. We as installers are trouble shooters. Our industry is scrutinized and criticized by consumers now more than ever before which pushes us to be better all around. Better looking films, better looking installs, better/more coverage, better fitting patterns, and also better experiences to show for it. Sucks when you have to rip a piece of $1-200 piece of film for something that was in the paint or not caused by you. Heck, i know I've installed a full hood and look at it after and see a nice little glue ball/dimple right in the middle on a black car. 

I normally charge a premium because of the quality of work (tucking?no tucking? Precut?handcut?) A full vehicle wrap will cost you between $7000 - $9000 CAD. Some dealerships are upwards of $12000 CAD for full vehicle wrap.

Every client that ever messages me, i explain to them that there are cheaper options out there but be wary of install and quality of film used. In the end it might cost you double.

No car is literally perfect. I seen lambos with custom factory paintjobs have small nibs all over the car, porsches with hair in the paint. New M5 dark cherry red (400 worldwide only) customer had to send the car back to repaint, they had oil like marks embedded in the matte paint. Goodluck getting that out

Edited by BigRuski

I will agree Ford has some pretty bad paint. I have wrapped around 8 Raptors in the last 6 months and I have found dirt in the paint on every single one... and multiple pieces at that. But with that said most of them do not show up with air pockets around them because they have clear coat over the dirt particle making them a little smoother. That looks like dirt... which is from poor prep work. I would just ask him to replace those pieces... and to be fair you got a GREAT deal on that price wise so maybe even try to offer to pay for part of it to help out. I don't know the installer but I am assuming he is fairly new which is why his pricing is so low. Jobs like this can really hurt the guys business... so any help would make it much easier on him. After all guys we all started from somewhere and if these are the only issues on a full vehicle wrap... well I will just say I have seen a LOT WORSE. 

The defects in the last pic at the front of the hood is a manufacturing defect known as cat tails. They are un-melted urethane pellets.  The installer needs to redo that or any other panels affected with those defects and send the defective pieces back to the manufacturer for a credit.

I see this with Suntek from time to time and they are great about replacing the film.