Removing top layer of tint

Hi, I just bought a used vehicle and the windows are way too dark. I happened to notice they are double tinted. Is there any way to remove the top layer of tint without damaging the other layer? I would like to leave the bottom layer to keep from having to retint them all. Thanks! 

10 hours ago, Ryker said:

Probably not two layers just 1 multilayer film.  Could be factory glass plus film though

It's actually 2 separate layers of film, you can clearly tell. The first layer that was put on looks somewhat professionally done but the top layer looks like crap as far as the cut edges. It's on a crew cab pickup. I'm really just concerned about taking it off of the 2 front windows. Just wondering what are the odds of it tearing the bottom layer off when I pull the top layer off or if it leaves glue behind, is there a safe way to remove it without messing up the film that I want to leave? 

42 minutes ago, Sumter479 said:

It's actually 2 separate layers of film, you can clearly tell. The first layer that was put on looks somewhat professionally done but the top layer looks like crap as far as the cut edges. It's on a crew cab pickup. I'm really just concerned about taking it off of the 2 front windows. Just wondering what are the odds of it tearing the bottom layer off when I pull the top layer off or if it leaves glue behind, is there a safe way to remove it without messing up the film that I want to leave? 

Since you are only worried about the front two windows, find a reputable shop in your area and have them redo the front two doors with a quality film and you won't have any issues with failure from a film that you know nothing about.  If you are going to try and have it removed, they are going to charge you for that part, just go ahead and have them strip all the film off, it's not that much different for them to do it either way, so might as well get new film in the process.  If you have them re-tinted, they shouldn't charge much to strip the old film off.  

The price for a strip and re-tint on two doors is not going to be very expensive.  

Way more logical choice to go ahead and get new film rather than have what is there fail on you in the future. :twocents  

1 hour ago, OverLord said:

@Sumter479 Film is not designed to adhere to film it should pull off with minimum adhesive left behind

:yeah Worst case scenario would be the layer pulled could take the scratch coat off the original layer. Simply fingernail prick an edge of the second layer and pull; save a buck or two.