TintDude.com Does Not...

I agree 100%, TD.com is much more than a FB group.  What it offers and what the private FB groups offer is completely different which is a good thing.  However, I think having an FB page (not private group) would be good to draw more tinters and consumers to TD.com.  The traffic here like on a lot of forums has dropped dramatically and IMO will keep dropping.  I have personally seen a huge automotive forum based here in Atlanta go from having a general section with 200+ current topics in 1 day to now having 1 gag post every 3-6 months.  I could be completely wrong, but I don't see the TD forum lasting the next 5 years.  So it needs a new way to attract people to the forum, a new way to reach people.  Even better than Facebook, I think Instagram would be the best route to do this.  Thanks to hashtags being widely used there (not so much on FB), you can target your audience to window tint topics/subjects.  What would an IG account look like for TD?  I think we should use it to promote the members of TD that want to promote their work or shop.  So members would post their tint photos on the forum, then we could add those photos to IG which would benefit the tinter/shop since it could bring them business.  No tint discussions would happen on IG, no tips shared...nothing.  IG would simply use the photos of the submitted work to attract attention.  That attention would then be directed to TD.com along with the tinter's shop IF they want that.  If they don't want to promote the shop or disclose where they tint, it could link back to their post here on TD...or, not at all.  I think forget Facebook and do an Instagram account.  If needed, I could help run it if members would get on board with submitting work.  Lastly, I think the homepage of the forum needs a redesign when it comes to the sub-forums.  IMO it is very confusing and could scare potential people off.  For example, consumers are posting in the General section a lot because the consumer section is at the bottom...they most likely didn't even see it.

I was born right at the beginning of the Millenial generation, so I have one foot into that generation while the other is in the previous one.  So I respect how many people look at social media, but at the same time it is the greatest tool to reach people.  The world has changed and will continue to change.  You have to be involved with that change or be okay with seeing something you built possibly dying off.  This is just my opinion, please don't ban me.  🤐

3 hours ago, DynamicATL said:

I think Instagram would be the best route to do this. 

Not logging in to FB or IG in the past 3-4 months... I would tend to agree. 

If needed, I could help run it if members would get on board with submitting work.

I, for one, would have no problem with you doing that. :thumb

so I have one foot into that generation while the other is in the previous one.  So I respect how many people look at social media

I know this is a diff post cause I'm a noob.... but whatever. :lol2

I also agree with that. I'm from the pre-social media age... forums were it. And I totally get the appeal of FB and the like... I'm a member of several groups, although I haven't logged into them in forever. FB has a terrible search engine... like, terrible. So I don't think it's that great. And like TD said - people add other people to groups without their permission, or desire to join said groups. 

For so many of those reasons, TD.com seems be have a more negative connotation associated with it, which I do not agree with at all, and feel is totally unwarranted, but it is what it is. So personally, I don't think a FB page would help, or be useful. I do agree that an IG account could help... 

TD.com has been around forever... it will be around forever (hopefully!! :) )  Myspace died..... I can *potentially* see FB dying too - not any time soon though. But tides change... 

12 hours ago, Roach said:

For so many of those reasons, TD.com seems be have a more negative connotation associated with it, which I do not agree with at all, and feel is totally unwarranted, but it is what it is.

It does, I have seen people on the FB groups complain about it.  I honestly can't remember any specifics but do remember coming across that a couple of times.  I think that we have had moments where it is our way or we talk crap to the person.  Like someone coming in asking about 5% or 20% on the windshield.  Just about everyone responding would hammer them about it being stupid and illegal.  In the end, it is their vehicle, their money, and they are going to do it anyways.  As long as one person states it is illegal and considered unsafe, the rest should skip over it.

I like IG better for reaching since you can better target your audience.  Plus nobody has to sign up...for the people that are not members of IG, they can still look at the page...click hashtags, etc.

Edited by DynamicATL

I liked it back in the day when Tintdude was the only gig on the net. That kept life real simple and organized. More “channels” on the telly doesn’t necessarily mean better programming lol