What's your limit on difficult installs? When do you call it quits?

What is your magic number on difficult installs?

What is the number of times you will attempt a difficult install before you are upside down in it and are losing money? 

Had a C6 the other day that was dealing me fits. Attempted the back glass 3 times and had to call it quits. I still wasn't sure the 4th time was going to work and I had other appointments for the day that had to be done. So I had to make the decision to stop and not do that vehicle.  

At some point, even if you complete the install, you have to realize that you are not making money on that install.

So when do you call it quits to keep from burning up all your product and future profits on one vehicle?  

Edited by Bham

I would reschedule it for an off day when I could figure it out without any pressure, or pay another installer to lay it so I could see what I'm missing.

Either way I would go upside down. If I get it right I'll know what it's worth and be known as the guy that can do it.

I have done a back window on an el camino 7 times before it finally laid. it was the only thing on the schedule though.  had an r/r on 3000gt last week that took 2 attempts for the back window. I would have probably given it two more attempts. Dano is right about scheduling on an off day. the added stress doesn't help the cause. 

Three has pretty much been my limit, unless I knew I was getting close.  It's not that I can't do a C6 it's just that day was just not my day. We all have those, especially on cars like that.  As a solo person, I can't risk wasting too much product at any time and there is no one to hand it off to, so I have to be smart.  

If I had an employee who burned up all my product on one vehicle and then had to not be able to do the following appointments until new film came in, well,,,,, I wouldn't have that employee anymore.  At what point do you put your job on the line to "be the man". I've been "the man" before, it's overrated :heh  Too old for ego chest bumping these days.  

No set number of times for me.  It all depends on my mood, time available, and just what it is...... The last time I said yes to a utility tractor, glass was out, I did ONE attempt at the one window. Dirt ran down into my tint and I was done. It was never going to be what I expect my work to be!

Never again on a tractor of any kind.