How that's TB working out for you?

I've seen Shadow change colour noticeably (to me, only) in Canada in under 2 years. It was "colour stable" or whatever the hell they tried to say (some runs were DEFINITELY better than others). So I don't see how he's wrong there :beer

And your customer didn't notice it or care, so he's right there.

I'm not defending it to be honest, I'm just saying, you hate the stuff and obviously want to prove it. Don't blame you. But to test out a new product, this is cheap experience.

You can say what you want about me, but if it was a car done through a dealership, I would've done it the following way:

A) The customer never would have known it was me. I've told mine not to let out my information, and to deal with issues first themselves by having vehicle dropped off at their dealership (should this ever even occur) and then they ferry them to me or I'd go to them.

B) IF they did come to me, I'd be straight up.

"Well Sir/Mam, I went to replace the window, however the new product didn't match up exactly. Due to the price limitations we have with performing installs on dealer vehicles, we do not install window film that is considered 'colour stable', even though it is in fact covered for cracking, delamination and adhesive failiure. Now, I could have gone and replaced your window with new, identical product, but I didn't feel that would satisfy my professional tastes. Therefore, if you wish, I will as a gesture for you inconvenience, install a better performing, fully colour stable film on your vehicle. If you're happy with this, please feel free to recommend my shop in the future".

I just honestly don't see the whole huge issue here. Maybe I'm a total idiot.

For future reference The Man, you're actually one of my favourite guys on here, so don't take this in any way personal. You're an auto success story, since you've gone from nickle and diming to upselling like a crazy person :lol You really are what I'm hoping to do here. I just don't really see how you got anything other than what you purchased in this case :beer

I'm not really trying to prove anything. In the thread I posted above, people asked for pictures. I am now supplying pictures so that people can see for themselves. Understandably I am defensive when people are telling me "you should know it's the worst %&$# out there because of the price" or whatever. Fact is, my take from the statements the distributor/manufacturer made is that it would be a good quality product that would hold it's own against comparable non-CS films. With highly noticeable color change in a matter of a few months, and 100% complete color change to something off the charts in a year's time, I don't feel that was at all to be expected. Like I stated before, I knew it wasn't a CS film going in to it, I just didn't realize the timeline was measured in days and double digit days to be more descriptive. I read many posts from Scotty and the like praising this film, how well it's held up and how great it is to work with. I think it's only fair that I share my side of the story and let people making those very important decisions regarding their livelihood see both sides of the coin. Fact of the matter remains, I am embarrassed to see a vehicle I tinted look that bad in that short of a time period. I'm not arguing, I'm not comparing it to a film I now sell that costs me 2x what TB costs, I am just stating that I would have never wasted my money on a product that looked that bad in that short amount of time.

There is even more to the story. When I first saw this car earlier in the day I was dropping a car off at the same Mazda dealer. It pulled in rolling a donut and I thought to myself, "Wow, that car looks terrible, who would put bronze on a black car?". I was even going to talk to the lady and tell her we can make that car look 100x better and we were having a small sale this month. It was later in the day that they showed up and I was thinking to myself "Hey, it's that car with the horrible tint, maybe they know it looks bad too". Then they came in asking if we could match it, then we got on to the subject that they had it tinted through the dealer, etc, etc. I really wish I could go back in time and not have purchased that film.

Well... Scotty... need I say more? :lol

I get all that. But there's lots of non-CS products on the market that perform that bad, up HERE. So... it is what it is man. Funny thing is, I had a bout with the True Smoke 2 years ago (bought a full line of it, as in 5%, 20% and 35%)... I've seen vehicles parked in full sun all day in parking lots that look the same now, but I never stuck with it because it sucks to work with. Anyway, point is I get what you're saying.

But my other point is... it's a dealer car. Separate yourself from them. They get the huge profit, therefore they should get the person coming in, you do whatever is REQUIRED, then send it back. I know it sounds horrible, but using your scenario... you could still approach that bronze Mazda and offer a redo.

It sounds crooked, but really, it's not. Dealer's that hammer for small lead times, big profits and low costs get what they're asking for.

If you're dealing direct with a customer, treat them like walking gold... if not, well, let the dealer handle it and then handle them. Like Howard himself said, that person probably never would have noticed, they would have been happy it was fixed, and you would have made more off that vehicle than you would have using a higher level film (for the dealership).

People (or at least most I know of) buy add ons from dealers knowing one of two things:

1) They'll get the best after purchase service if there's issues

2) They'll get ripped off more than anywhere else, but don't care because they want the vehicle delivered and fully done. They don't want to get it, then wait for the rim and tire guy for a day, then wait for the tint guy for a day, then wait for the paint protection guy for a day.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow this thread got pretty interesting quick. I think if The///Man, Really and i mean Really is worried about his customers like he says he is the thought of a non CS film would never cross his mind. I see it this way if the customer who is the owner and has to see the vehicle everyday has no issue with the way it looks, then all is fine. most people in the real world would not really care, therefore i think this is a personal issue. I wouldnt stress too much as long as the install looks great since as a customer that is what i would look at being that there is so many different shades and colors of films. One question though, would it have made a difference if u had seen the car 2-3 years from now?

wow this thread got pretty interesting quick. I think if The///Man, Really and i mean Really is worried about his customers like he says he is the thought of a non CS film would never cross his mind. I see it this way if the customer who is the owner and has to see the vehicle everyday has no issue with the way it looks, then all is fine. most people in the real world would not really care, therefore i think this is a personal issue. I wouldnt stress too much as long as the install looks great since as a customer that is what i would look at being that there is so many different shades and colors of films. One question though, would it have made a difference if u had seen the car 2-3 years from now?

I wouldn't have been as concerned if we were talking a few years and not a few months.

I have been a longtime user of TB and yes it does turn brown but I sell it to my customers as a entry level film. I tell customers that it has a lifetime warranty against bubbling, peeling, orange peel as stated on the warranty card. NOT FADING but I do say it will not turn purple. Which is all true.

LOL we should merge this thread in with http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?sh...lack&st=200 for all of the people wanting the picture request.

Keep in mind that this was one of Howard's quotes from that thread:

For dealer work - EWF suggests either straight CS films or getting the dealer on board with a Good/Better/Best program. Using straight non-CS is OK, provided you are up front and honest about it, but as "addicted" pointed out - it's probably worth investing the few extra bucks to move up to CS if you are only going to offer one film.

-Howard

Hi justn8,

BIG BIG thanks for digging that up and posting it. You rock.

Our customers are the final authority as to which EWF Film(s) they decide to carry. We treat them as professionals, familiar with window film construction, the unique constraints and requirements of their markets, customer expectations, etc. We don't "push" any one film but rather offer more choices than any single source in the entire industry.

-Howard

LOL we should merge this thread in with http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?sh...lack&st=200 for all of the people wanting the picture request.

Keep in mind that this was one of Howard's quotes from that thread:

Good for you ///Man !! An installer at your experience level is worth it.

For dealer work - EWF suggests either straight CS films or getting the dealer on board with a Good/Better/Best program. Using straight non-CS is OK, provided you are up front and honest about it, but as "addicted" pointed out - it's probably worth investing the few extra bucks to move up to CS if you are only going to offer one film.

-Howard

Like :D

Howard's just been busy lately, I'm sure he'll notice this next time he's on.

I personally don't remember a single instance where he compared TB in any way to ATC other than to say "it does not compare to ATC, QDP or other films of similar construction, however it's good for the non colour stable, low level entry category".

This stuff is in line with like Nexfils cheapest offering, it is what is, and it costs what it does for a reason.

I wouldn't order regular Global QD and expect it to last longer than QDP.

A 40" roll of this stuff costs barely two thirds of what I charge for one vehicle, I'd fully expect some fading or some colour change at that price.

:drunk You will NEVER find Howard making claims about any of his products that are not right on :beer He is the best in this industry hands down. If you live in a harsh climate buy the best.

Archived