3M Dusted Crystal Replacement

The time has come to reveal which film is which. The one on the left #1 is 3M Dusted Crystal. The one on the left #2????? Is 3M Dusted Crystal that I pulled out of a different box. I'm confident this will put to rest how close CS DC matches 3M DC since 3M doesnt match 3M. I enjoyed the imput from Mike and would always like to hear ideas and opinions on how we can improve our company.

Very deceptive you are, Mike is not done with this thread he is not............ :yoda

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends, if I have a helper close by I will hold it, they will peel and spray it. If I have a piece of glass close by that can be used as a peel board, I may use that. I rather have someone peel it so it will minimize the chance of contamination. We just do whatever we have to. With the Correct Spec, you can hold a 60x60 with one hand and your teeth and pull the liner with one hand... That ain't going to happen with DC

As far as I can remember, I only had too hold a large piece of Dusted Crystal and have someone remove the liner for me 2 times, I used 4 clean fingers on the corners " Adhesive side" and had them pull the liner at a 45 degree angle too the other corner and then strait down from there.

When removing the liner, the faster you pull it off the easier it will remove.

As far as a contamination issue, if I am not cutting on site I will pre-cut at the shop with a film-handler and roll the film liner side out and mark it and use a piece of 3M scotch tape on both ends, then place it in a clean plastic sleeve like used on new rolls of film.

The next time you have too remove the liner without a type of peel board and help doing so, you could try this, use a piece of pre-mask 4" to 6" wide across the top too prevent stretching the film.... :thumb

ede5a7cf-7c57-4a14-a752-2c1fdcf68b82.jpg

Does your corners look like this........ :spit ..........?

4e55809e-783d-4ab8-85d9-cf5342d43e55.jpg

:lol :lol :lol Why does that look familiar ?????

unfortunately the lighting on all the comparisons is less than adequate to make a fair evaluation , and I have used CP films frosty crystal (I think thats what it's called) and it matched 3M, Regardless It is always nice to know what's available. I am going to check on the Correct Spec.( hey is that C.P.film :lol ) Happy Tinting Y'all

The time has come to reveal which film is which. The one on the left #1 is 3M Dusted Crystal. The one on the left #2????? Is 3M Dusted Crystal that I pulled out of a different box. I'm confident this will put to rest how close CS DC matches 3M DC since 3M doesnt match 3M. I enjoyed the imput from Mike and would always like to hear ideas and opinions on how we can improve our company.

Marc, seeing that you removed the two 3M Dusted Crystal samples off a roll for your side by side pics, look inside the core and post the lot # Drum # report # as well as the date and post them here for me, I would like too see the 2 films myself.

Guest CorrectSpec

There is only one emoticon that completely sums up a lot # request :deadhorse It is time to put it to rest. If you really want to see the lot numbers, then I suggest you come out to NY. (I wouldn't want to leave any room for misrepresentation) I have three stipulations. If you consider the challenge and stop by the shop I will show you our entire inventory and let you personally inspect our film and every roll of 3M we have in stock. What are the stipulations?? 1st, You allow us to video your visit. 2nd, once you see everything we photographed is true and accurate and the boxes of 3M DC are genuine you stop beating the dead horse and have a few beers with us. 3rd, we post the video on Tintdude for everyone to enjoy.

Not to hijack. But California has a law that states it is illegal to spec a single source material unless it can be proven there is not functional equivalent available. Unfortunately it only applies to roof materials on government jobs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the day comes when CA restricts or even bans the use of vinyl. :twocents It is banned in most greenspecs...

If anyone wants to try the PET version, contact me and I will send you a sample. :beer

Not to hijack. But California has a law that states it is illegal to spec a single source material unless it can be proven there is not functional equivalent available. Unfortunately it only applies to roof materials on government jobs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the day comes when CA restricts or even bans the use of vinyl. :twocents It is banned in most greenspecs...

If anyone wants to try the PET version, contact me and I will send you a sample. :beer

The PET version is nice for situations where a piece of DC will sag...like a stripe pattern. however......it is not so plotter friendly....pick your poison

This is a perfect job for PETpost-27261-13650979659834.jpg

The PET version is nice for situations where a piece of DC will sag...like a stripe pattern. however......it is not so plotter friendly....pick your poison

The problem out West is that if it is a banned material then it doesn't matter how plotter friendly the film is... you can't use it.

The problem out West is that if it is a banned material then it doesn't matter how plotter friendly the film is... you can't use it.

You guys out there are just one good rattle away from making Utah oceanfront property anyway. I hope the mentality behind that ban goes with it

This is a project we used DC on about 8-10 months ago. They expanded to the office into a adjoining space. We used CS this time on 24 more offices like this. There is virtually no difference in appearance, but significant difference in the ease of instillationpost-27261-13655437862109.jpgpost-27261-13655437952895.jpg

Archived