3M Dusted Crystal Replacement

Yep, in my humble opinion, you can get that much variation (that Mike posted) in the same roll of film from one side to the other. That's why seamed windows need the seamed edges to be from the same edge of the film.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I applied CS and 3M Dusted Crystal to dupicate what was seen. I applied both samples to 1/8" clear plexi and butt them together. I held the sample up with two different light sources and then applied black out vinyl to the opposite side. I still think they look as close as two samples of 3M DC could if taken out of differant lot numbers. I welcome anyone wanting to check for themselves for additional feedback.

I only see one light source in your pics, looks too me that you did not let the pic with the black vinyl on the other side dry yet......?.......I can take pics as well that make the two films appear more of the same, below are the same films that I took pics of and posted here on the shop window, lets see more pics using the same films used for your comparison of the two films in different lighting as well as different angel's.bc74f185-016e-4929-bc0c-57ff85d43da6.jpg288441aa-41be-4dd8-96d5-6b9421fda836.jpg

Guest CorrectSpec

Ill take some more photos tomorrow. I did just apply the black vinyl and take a picture. I'm not sure why letting a blackout film dry would change the VLT?? I will photograph it tomorrow just to double check. Time to stop complaining and order some film, we all know its a great match and priced better than 3M The money you save will get you out of the two Firebirds and into a new Stingray. :yeah

Ill take some more photos tomorrow. I did just apply the black vinyl and take a picture. I'm not sure why letting a blackout film dry would change the VLT?? I will photograph it tomorrow just to double check. Time to stop complaining and order some film, we all know its a great match and priced better than 3M The money you save will get you out of the two Firebirds and into a new Stingray. :yeah

I can tell a lot from a pic and even more when seeing it in person, you really have too ask why it would matter if it was not dry yet........ :facepalm2 .....go back and look at your pic again.... :spit

Guest CorrectSpec

I guess I do have to ask? I applied blackout film to the opposite side of the plexi. Educate me why it will look any differant to view through when it dries? It has a 0% VLT. It looked the same through both films. When it dries I am assuming it will still look the same.

I guess I do have to ask? I applied blackout film to the opposite side of the plexi. Educate me why it will look any differant to view through when it dries? It has a 0% VLT. It looked the same through both films. When it dries I am assuming it will still look the same.

The answer would be the adhesive, the pic you posted does not look the same, your film looks more cloudy, BTW your CS Dusted Crystal with another film installed on top of it, regardless of its VLT% will not look as clear as over the 3M Dusted Crystal when viewed from the adhesive side when fully dried , however your CS Frosted Crystal will look more clear than 3Ms Frosted Crystal in the same scenario ......... :thumb

Archived