3M Dusted Crystal Replacement

Tom, what technique would that be........?

It looks like you had trouble weeding both pieces. Maybe your plotter needs a new blade or different angle or pressure setting, or slow down the cut etc. I have also used a towel soaked with real hot water and put it on top of a tricky area before it was weeded.

I did not even try too weed either one in the pic shown of the tree, like I said " I weeded the cut out tree from the bottom and just pulled it slow",Do your own tests with small designs and post what film you find is the way more easier film too weed, a video would be way better, time is money............So how does your real hot water trick work for vinyl with a paper liner... :blink ..?.................................................................... :whisper ......BTW Getting the vinyl nice and Cold first works very well, an example would be placing a frozen ice pack under the vinyl for awhile for small designs before weeding them................ :thumb

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like you had trouble weeding both pieces. Maybe your plotter needs a new blade or different angle or pressure setting, or slow down the cut etc. I have also used a towel soaked with real hot water and put it on top of a tricky area before it was weeded.

I did not even try too weed either one in the pic shown of the tree, like I said " I weeded the cut out tree from the bottom and just pulled it slow",Do your own tests with small designs and post what film you find is the way more easier film too weed, a video would be way better, time is money............So how does your real hot water trick work for vinyl with a paper liner... :blink ..?.................................................................... :whisper ......BTW Getting the vinyl nice and Cold first works very well, an example would be placing a frozen ice pack under the vinyl for awhile for small designs before weeding them................ :thumb

Freezing vinyl or DC...I have found makes it brittle and prone to cracking. I much prefer to have it more pliable when weeding.FWIW, I did not expect you to have anything good to say about CS, as it threatens your beloved brand. For most shop owners, I imagine once they use it once, it will become the go to product when needed. Like you said. Time is money and the CS is so much easier and faster Nd far more user friendly for Installers to hang, it becomes a no brainer. A far as your question on paper liners, I really don't have a honest answer for that. The few materials I use with paper have not presented any issues that I can remember.

Guest CorrectSpec

Hey Mike,

Thank you for the honest opinion. I would not have respected anything less. I am a seasoned installer and as we both know, there are color variations from one end of a roll to the other not to mention differant lot numbers. Anyone who has butt film without rotating it 180 degrees knows what I'm talking about. Will CS match 3M 100% of the time??? The true answer is no. Will 3M match 3M 100% of the time?? The true answer is NO again. I am appreciative for your advice to join tintude. I have been reading forums and getting an idea what people are thinking and what they would like to change. CS didn't reinvent the perverbial DC wheel, we only dupicated it and added a liner that is easier to remove. CS is not trying to change a 3M dealers mind set, we are trying to offer everyone a more cost effective quality DC equivalant supported with better customer service. I can't comment on what you pay for 3M DC, but as we all know, if your selling alot of decoraitve film, PENNIES count. if you're a 3 roll a year dealer it doesnt really affect your bottom line. We have been sending out alot of sample packs and received a positive response from everyone. Let me know if you would like some more to do additional tests and comparisons. Its hard to convince a Lamborghini guy to buy a Ferrari, but at the end of the day they are both great cars. I am comfortable saying both the 3M and the CS Dusted Crystal are great films. In the end, it comes down to opinion and choice which is what makes the country great. Thank you again for taking the time to look at our film.

Have a great Easter weeekend.

Marc

Freezing vinyl or DC...I have found makes it brittle and prone to cracking. I much prefer to have it more pliable when weeding.FWIW, I did not expect you to have anything good to say about CS, as it threatens your beloved brand. For most shop owners, I imagine once they use it once, it will become the go to product when needed. Like you said. Time is money and the CS is so much easier and faster Nd far more user friendly for Installers to hang, it becomes a no brainer. A far as your question on paper liners, I really don't have a honest answer for that. The few materials I use with paper have not presented any issues that I can remember.

Do you even read what I post, Any Vinyl will weed easier when (COLD) I did not say frozen and especially when a vinyl sits longer after it has been cut on a plotter or has any fine detail, it has too do with the adhesive think about it, as far as me not having anything good too say about Correct Spec film, I am being honest with my pics and my experience working with it and looking at it and feeling the film, you are right time is money and remember that when you are trying too weed Correct Spec with an intricate design, my guess would be that you have not yet even tried doing so, one of the main issues with this film is the easy release liner when weeding it, I can remove the liner just as fast and easily on 3M Dusted Crystal and if you need help doing so, you have my cell number so give me a call and I will walk you though it.

Hey Mike,

Thank you for the honest opinion. I would not have respected anything less. I am a seasoned installer and as we both know, there are color variations from one end of a roll to the other not to mention differant lot numbers. Anyone who has butt film without rotating it 180 degrees knows what I'm talking about. Will CS match 3M 100% of the time??? The true answer is no. Will 3M match 3M 100% of the time?? The true answer is NO again. I am appreciative for your advice to join tintude. I have been reading forums and getting an idea what people are thinking and what they would like to change. CS didn't reinvent the perverbial DC wheel, we only dupicated it and added a liner that is easier to remove. CS is not trying to change a 3M dealers mind set, we are trying to offer everyone a more cost effective quality DC equivalant supported with better customer service. I can't comment on what you pay for 3M DC, but as we all know, if your selling alot of decoraitve film, PENNIES count. if you're a 3 roll a year dealer it doesnt really affect your bottom line. We have been sending out alot of sample packs and received a positive response from everyone. Let me know if you would like some more to do additional tests and comparisons. Its hard to convince a Lamborghini guy to buy a Ferrari, but at the end of the day they are both great cars. I am comfortable saying both the 3M and the CS Dusted Crystal are great films. In the end, it comes down to opinion and choice which is what makes the country great. Thank you again for taking the time to look at our film.

Have a great Easter weeekend.

Marc

Hi Marc, I would not say color variations but rather more or less translucent, I do agree with you too a point that most film will vary film from lot too lot # like we had discussed on the phone, however you must agree that the pic of the 2 films butted together that I posted that were taken while inside, there was a big difference in translucently..........?.............. Do not get me wrong, I am not saying that I would not ever use your film, I just gave my honest opinion on your film like you had asked, I wish you nothing but success with your film and appreciate you offering another film too all of us as well as all the time you have spent on doing so, I will talk to you on Monday and we can discuses my thoughts on your film further, Have a great Easter weekend as well.

I don't know but it sure looks as though Marc has the Correct Spec (for a true dusted crystal). Pardon the pun. :golf

smartie2shoes, if want too get in on this discussion (you may want too put both of your shoes on) Pardon the pun. :golf .... :golf

Do you even read what I post, Any Vinyl will weed easier when (COLD) I did not say frozen and especially when a vinyl sits longer after it has been cut on a plotter or has any fine detail, it has too do with the adhesive think about it, as far as me not having anything good too say about Correct Spec film, I am being honest with my pics and my experience working with it and looking at it and feeling the film, you are right time is money and remember that when you are trying too weed Correct Spec with an intricate design, my guess would be that you have not yet even tried doing so, one of the main issues with this film is the easy release liner when weeding it, I can remove the liner just as fast and easily on 3M Dusted Crystal and if you need help doing so, you have my cell number so give me a call and I will walk you though it.

Next time I have a plotted design that requires a bit of skill and experience to install, I will video it and send a copy to you so you can refer to it in the future... I'm here for you, when ever you need some pointers. Just ask!

I personally like what I have seen in the samples. It looks really good to me

I have a feeling you know Marc.....?

smartie2shoes, if want too get in on this discussion (you may want too put both of your shoes on) Pardon the pun. :golf .... :golf

:nope:wrong:spit Hence the reason my avatar showed up in sandals.

Just adding a little light-hearted humor for waht it's worth.

:spit

Next time I have a plotted design that requires a bit of skill and experience to install, I will video it and send a copy to you so you can refer to it in the future... I'm here for you, when ever you need some pointers. Just ask!

I would like too see that, I will be waiting for the show and post your video here........... :thumb

Archived