3M Dusted Crystal Replacement

I still think they look as close as two samples of 3M DC could if taken out of different lot numbers. I welcome anyone wanting to check for themselves for additional feedback.

While I agree that there are variences between rolls.... I haven't used enough 3M DC let alone multiple boxes on the same job to see any difference.

Does anyone have rolls that were purchased at different times that could do a pic or two of them side by side to see if there is any difference??

Just curious....

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think they look as close as two samples of 3M DC could if taken out of different lot numbers. I welcome anyone wanting to check for themselves for additional feedback.

While I agree that there are variences between rolls.... I haven't used enough 3M DC let alone multiple boxes on the same job to see any difference.

Does anyone have rolls that were purchased at different times that could do a pic or two of them side by side to see if there is any difference??

Just curious....

I do, with a few different lot #s.

Just curious....

I have a couple pics of a Frosted Crystal job that had 2 different rolls on it. ... It is a disaster.

Now for some Correct Spec Frosted Crystal and 3M Frosted Crystal side by side pics. b35403fb-154f-4ac9-abbc-16577cbdcda9.jpg7ba463a0-bcd2-4814-90e6-1ae9590c15fa.jpg

Mike, your pics look like nothing I have witnessed with the CS. I'm wondering if the roll of DC you have is the culprit. We are going to be filming a college next week that has DC on it now, we put a mock up on a window right next to it for submittal. ... It was dead on.

Guest CorrectSpec

I think its time for a blind test. I only numbered the two samples. I ask anyone willing to take a close look and take a guess which is CS and which is 3M. Both were just applied to 1/8 clear plexi and not given a chance to dry. I will let everyone know later tonight.

post-35636-0-30822400-1364916059_thumb.jpg

post-35636-0-27308900-1364916069_thumb.jpg

post-35636-0-89459000-1364916086_thumb.jpg

post-35636-0-46689900-1364916096_thumb.jpg

post-35636-0-00810200-1364916111_thumb.jpg

post-35636-0-67390000-1364916124_thumb.jpg

No guess from me.

To me, the bottom line would be are they close enough that if the spec called for DC and was *not* needed to match film already installed, would the CS pass?

I know its easy for us to notice differences and flaws in film, but would the customer notice any difference?

No guess from me.

To me, the bottom line would be are they close enough that if the spec called for DC and was *not* needed to match film already installed, would the CS pass?

I know its easy for us to notice differences and flaws in film, but would the customer notice any difference?

Roach, I can tell you first hand... There is no way you can tell the difference when they are installed. We do a ton of frosted and dusted in our area and 99% of the time the spec calls out a certain film or equal. If you supply a equal, you will likely supply a submittal. the CS is such a dead ringer, you will be just fine. We have a project next week that has DC on it now, ( we did it last year) and I'm going to use CS right next to it.

Guest CorrectSpec

The time has come to reveal which film is which. The one on the left #1 is 3M Dusted Crystal. The one on the left #2????? Is 3M Dusted Crystal that I pulled out of a different box. I'm confident this will put to rest how close CS DC matches 3M DC since 3M doesnt match 3M. I enjoyed the imput from Mike and would always like to hear ideas and opinions on how we can improve our company.

Not to hijack. But California has a law that states it is illegal to spec a single source material unless it can be proven there is not functional equivalent available. Unfortunately it only applies to roof materials on government jobs.

Archived