Your opinion on real facts

So I have a brother that wants to get into the tint/mask world. He is working at bmw where they offer perma plate. He thinks that after 1 month of training he'll be able to start sticking film and making money. I told him it takes time. So I want to hear your opinions on the facts. I know for sure you cant take a month course and start tinting. It took me a long time to learn. Plus there is still mask that you have to learn also. I look forward to your comments. Ive been tinting/masking for ten years. loll

For tinting, how long is really about the person and the training.  There is also the factor of how good of quality that the customer is expecting!  Could most people start with a month of training and tint as well as a seasoned veteran?  Not likely.

I have met a few people that it was just natural....

I started into auto on my own and the only training I had was on family and friends cars. I worked my way through every vehicle I could get my hands on and then started over when I ran out. I had a very good grasp on what I was getting into before I took on my first paying customer, but in no way was I a professional. I was not able to turn out next to flawless work on the first shot, but I knew with enough patience, film and time I would be able to get an acceptable job, for both me and my customers. In the first few months there were some cars where I re-did a window up to 5 times, until I got it right. Too many time I've seen people just focused on making that "paper" and sacrifice the quality right out the gate. This does nothing for our industry or their reputation. 

Just like any job, get your ducks in a row FIRST or be ready to give up your initial "profit" to the learning curve. 

I started into auto on my own and the only training I had was on family and friends cars. I worked my way through every vehicle I could get my hands on and then started over when I ran out. I had a very good grasp on what I was getting into before I took on my first paying customer, but in no way was I a professional. I was not able to turn out next to flawless work on the first shot, but I knew with enough patience, film and time I would be able to get an acceptable job, for both me and my customers. In the first few months there were some cars where I re-did a window up to 5 times, until I got it right. Too many time I've seen people just focused on making that "paper" and sacrifice the quality right out the gate. This does nothing for our industry or their reputation. 

Just like any job, get your ducks in a row FIRST or be ready to give up your initial "profit" to the learning curve. 

:yeah  yeah that exactly.............spot on

So I have a brother that wants to get into the tint/mask world. He is working at bmw where they offer perma plate. He thinks that after 1 month of training he'll be able to start sticking film and making money. I told him it takes time. So I want to hear your opinions on the facts. I know for sure you cant take a month course and start tinting. It took me a long time to learn. Plus there is still mask that you have to learn also. I look forward to your comments. Ive been tinting/masking for ten years. loll

Learn to tint in a month?? More like 1-3 years, but as mentioned, it depends on the person.

Dealership tinting is very different than running/tinting at a retail shop.  It's the same cars over and over, so once you've been guided through a vehicle and you're doing the same on your own its not as challenging.  It is still not easy, but the learning curve for say doing new Altima's or Accords over and over again is much shorter than random cars.  After a month training on the same models he'll be doing daily he may very well make a check.  The speed part of it will be the challenge. 

Learning at a dealership is probably the quickest internship you can do to 1) decide if tinting is for you  and 2) have a vehicle continually in front of you to work on as long as you can hang in there.

Good post TE :thumb

If all rookies this day and age had this attitude , the future customers of the tint industry would be I good hands :thumb

Archived