• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The torch flame temp is up there,,rite at the tip area,,but you really don't touch the film with it,,the liner would melt 1st when you over heat the film your are shrinking,,,torches are used alot for applying vinyl wraps to,,so its not the issue

The glue/adhesive most likely failed for that to happen,,it happened on the doors also,,were you really don't need much heat to apply

I will play with fire today,,torch/heat gun/tint/vinyl/old glass and a infared temp gun? Lol if I have time

If I hold the heat gun/hot on one spot of the outside of the glass,,the tint will bubble in about 10-12 seconds,,cheap tint will bubble/melt in less time

My thoughts go more into the science of things.Our techniques allow us to get the car out the door and a happy client. However the longevity in adhesive is in question. So many different components/adhesives from different mannys films and so many different cars/ techniques/ installers.

There is no way to know you can say that the way you do it is fine cause you haven't had comebacks/issues.

Last monkey wrench is the cars switch owners and how cars are stored/parked makes it impossible.

I guess the weathering tests give you only half the story

My thoughts go more into the science of things.Our techniques allow us to get the car out the door and a happy client. However the longevity in adhesive is in question. So many different components/adhesives from different mannys films and so many different cars/ techniques/ installers.

There is no way to know you can say that the way you do it is fine cause you haven't had comebacks/issues.

Last monkey wrench is the cars switch owners and how cars are stored/parked makes it impossible.

I guess the weathering tests give you only half the story

I agree F1.  If we were all using the exact same install solution and every many used the same adhesive compound, would we still have these problems?  I think so.  For many reasons.  One being the sun will kill everything.  

Another problem is that film is porous and external elements have alot of effect on the film.  It's not just the outside being baked by the sun, it is also what is being done to the film on the other side.   Care and maintenance is different across the board, along with the chemicals used to do so.   

If we used straight water to install and didn't heat shrink at all, I think film would still fail, unless it's environment NEVER changed.  Just my opinions.  

Sweat also has ammonia in it, which we all know is destructive to film.   I have seen the same thing from an old farm guys truck.  Passenger side was fine, but the bottom 1/3 of the drivers side had failed.  

Well the Wagner heat gun pointed at sheet metal for a while very close didn't even get much past 200* 230-250*f And I also pointed the laser thing rite in the tip of the heat gun

The torch with map gas was over 5-6-700* on the sheet metal,,no were near/2400*ff

Maybe somebody else can play with that stuff

I had flatglass film adhesive fail,,blackout film and they only refunded me for the boxes I bought,,no labor or trip $$,,,,I will never use their product again

Archived