• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm seeing geeked up back glasses on good mannys films on relatively new cars alot lately. I know about the " back glass gets more sun" debate.

However I've been concerned of our heat guns and torches being way too hot for the adhesive systems.

I'm wondering if Smartie2shoes or others can share some wisdom on testing regarding g heat numbers for adhesive systems.

It makes some logical sense that our techniques haven't been analyzed enough.

Reason being is some back glasses just take more heat to shrink.

I found this answer on LLumartech.com's FAQ # 232 from Dec 2009:

Question (12/2/2009): I have heard that some installers use an open-flame gas torch of some sort (butane or propane) instead of a heat gun to heat form the film for rear windows. This sounds crazy and dangerous to me. What is Performance Films' technical position about such a method of heat shrinking? Answer: Performance Films' Research and Technology group has informed us in no uncertain terms: "Exposing organic coatings [in window films] to a gas flame is definitely not recommended. There are a host of unstable and energetic species in gas flames that are perfect for initiating photo- and thermo-oxidative degradation reactions. It will shorten product life-times and reduce confidence in weathering predictions and warranties.[/size]

Smartie, Engrish please :beer

I don't shrink with a torch unless I'm wanting to impress someone in class but still it seems the film isn't getting as hot when done right with a torch and nothing catches on fire! I truly feel you are one of the smartest members on the board. If you can break down the last sentence it would help me understand. I believe what your saying I just don't understand. Thank you for all the information you share with us. You make the forum a better place!

Cheers

:lol Note what happens when an ak47 is used on a windshield in another thread and you'll get the gist of what a torch will and can do to window film.

Heat gun temp = 1050-1300 F on high, torch flame = in excess of 2500 F.

Nothing short of:

Kick mounting adhesive into cure state before film is applied

Move out UV absorbers, leading to (see next on list and) less UV protection

Accelerating polyester break down

Accelerating dye, pigment and carbon color shift

The below cover the idiot-factor:

Potential for localized de-tempering of glass which can and will lead to spontaneous glass breakage

Potential for igniting gas fumes

Potential to harm gasket materials

Potential to burn paint

Edit: I always enjoy a discussion about the use of torches. It is a good way to bring it to the public's attention that there are a few out there that allow some hair-brained idea pump their ego rather than looking out for the client's purchase, both car and tint.

I started in 85. Back then we had the Camaro, Baretta, Saturn SL, Cutlass, 944, and numerous other "challenging" shit boxes. Many if not all of them were done with defroster seams. Film was more stretched than shrunk. And there was always film failures a few years later just like today. Nothing has changed.

1985 same year I started wow 30 years your right about the stretching more than shrinking.

Archived