Competitor False Advertising and Slamming Us. How to Handle?

I think he will eventually weed himself out and bad reviews on his business will catch up to him.

I think the only thing you can really do is fight fire with fire (not literally)  but keep it professional. Really amp up your website with detailed information to educate your customers on the film differences and quality. When you do any type of marketing do the same. You can talk trash about other shops installing cheap films in your social media etc. but just not anything direct.

Respond to all negative reviews professionally and positively.

8 hours ago, pbalentine said:

As for bad reviews, repond/reply to them in the most professional manner; which can actually make you look good. 

As for them being cheaper, I would stress that your installs are cleaner, which is most important and if something happens with the film, you'll be in business to assist them.   Also explain you see these shops come and go and if they want great film and install you're for them, but if they want cheap shiat, you're not. That basically what i do now, i say if you want best film and install im your guy, but if you want just a cheap price and film that last a year im not for you.  And no, i wont match there price...many $99 tint are out there that will be gone really soon go find them.  You get what you pay for. 

Edit: You mentioned he does good work.  I would say that ceramic is usually around $4-$500. If he charges that low, i doubt your getting ceramic=cheap rebox. 

Yes the quality of the installs are actually really good. Very clean. But the film is blistering at the one year mark. And as thin as plastic cling wrap when removed.  I've seen the film is plenty of quantity and it's in no way Ceramic. It's a cheap 1 ply at best!

You could give the price quote and say you will match any "reputable" shop, which this guy isnt for what he charges.  Lets say most in your area charge $175-$250....$100 is such an undercut? Just say something has to give, like the suran wrap being used. Also, if theyre lying about what they use, how else will they lie.  In my area if anyone mentiones a price under $150 I basiclaly say theyre a joke!

Edited by pbalentine

Make an offer to match qualifying competitors price/film and also a coupon for a free pizza. When they say a price/film from that competitor inform them that competitor doesn't qualify because they don't actually put the film on that they say they are and that they'd have closed if they used that film at that price. Also let them know you know this because you make a ton of money on redo'ing their jobs and inform them of the high removal cost. 

Match their price using a low range film and then upsell to a quality film with a warranty that can actually be honored. 

Edited by Tint Slayer