People Will Do Anything To Sell Film

5 hours ago, DynamicATL said:

He is a nut just like Ralph, makes sense why they are friends.  Especially since he was such a "find the truth" type person, but then supports advertisements like this that are deceptive at best.  If it was 3M trying this type of marketing, the anti-3M crazies would be all over this.

Nice. I get people calling and ask if I use 3m film? I ask why, they say because I heard 3m is the best...I say, 3m doesn’t make film, they make adhesives, they say yes they do I seen it on the internet, I ask where do they make it.....no answer, and then they come get my Llumar anyway:unsure:

6 minutes ago, drtint said:

Nice. I get people calling and ask if I use 3m film? I ask why, they say because I heard 3m is the best...I say, 3m doesn’t make film, they make adhesives, they say yes they do I seen it on the internet, I ask where do they make it.....no answer, and then they come get my Llumar anyway:unsure:

Llumar makes their own film?! Holy sh*t! Here I was thinking it was manufactured by Eastman! 

4 minutes ago, highplains said:

Llumar makes their own film?! Holy sh*t! Here I was thinking it was manufactured by Eastman! 

Llumar is made by Eastman and they produce only a few line. I believe my comment was directed toward 3m

26 minutes ago, drtint said:

Not sure what that has to do with this thread.  My 3M post was just saying that if the same marketing was done with a different brand, how the reception can be completely different.  Just keep in mind that Eastman also makes Gila, so just because it is made in-house doesn't equal quality.  Global is not made in-house yet is probably the widest respected window film among tinters.  Just wanted to show that argument means absolutely nothing.

4 minutes ago, drtint said:

Llumar is made by Eastman and they produce only a few line. I believe my comment was directed toward 3m

Yep only a few lines, one of which happens to be Gila and we all know what that quality looks like. The reason I bring it up is because of how you frame your sales pitch above. You make 3M out to be inferior because they don't manufacture 100% in house when in reality neither does Llumar. I understand you need to try and sell what you carry and nobody can't fault you for that, but the way you're putting it forward doesn't ring as the most honest, even if it's just implied. The reality is that they're both good quality films and I wouldn't trash one over the other to a customer. 

I have to stand down. Wasn’t looking to bash. I actually use a few lines of film. I just know for a fact; neither you high plains or a customer can tell me who makes or manufactures 3m films. If I am wrong tell me. No one has been able to tell me since 1982. As far as mentioning llumar, as well as solarguard and global, I have been using since the 80’s and trouble free

Cheers

I have to stand down. Wasn’t looking to bash. I actually use a few lines of film. I just know for a fact; neither you high plains or a customer can tell me who makes or manufactures 3m films. If I am wrong tell me. No one has been able to tell me since 1982. As far as mentioning llumar, as well as solarguard and global, I have been using since the 80’s and trouble free

Cheers

5 minutes ago, drtint said:

Cheers

You're correct, I can't, but ultimately it doesn't matter. All the manufacturers produce films of varying qualities, like was previously pointed out above. 3M is a quality film, like Llumar is a quality film. There are examples of failures from both out there and both companies stand behind them with nationwide warranties. Neither company is going anywhere any time soon either.

20 minutes ago, drtint said:

Cheers

In the real world, what does it matter?  If the results are good and the dealers are happy, who cares?  You shouldn't since you do not carry the film.  I carry both Llumar and 3M window films.  I can honestly say we are happier with 3M than Llumar.  I can tell you the only issues I have had with film defects (out of the box) have only been with Llumar.  I am not even including the fact that ATC/CTX lines having an issue last year metering well above their rated shades.  For example, CTX 35 normally meters 38/39 out of the box, but was metering 44...we had an ATC 20 metering 29 out of the box when it normally meters 24.    This was a widely known issues that has been corrected.  How about the curling issue they had early last year...even though we did not have an issue, many dealers did and I was even told about the issue from my rep.  Hell, my opening order with Llumar had a defective roll of Dual Reflective film.  My point is that just because you know where the film comes from, doesn't mean chit.

Edited by DynamicATL

All good. Like I said, I didn’t want to put false hope or start an insecure issue with the thought of some installers. I was only commenting on what was presented. Appreciate the trials and tribulations installers deal with everyday, that was pretty much my point. Thank you