Where can I hire experienced window tinters?

6 hours ago, smartie2shoes said:

Found one but, I am so over it now.

Was asked the other day if I'd tint somebody's truck, I just raised my right hand and let them see my tremors. Asked them, 'Do think I can still cut a straight line'? :lol:spit

That's funny,,  because anytime anyone asks me to tint a car...I start convulsing too.. 

I had the same tinter, my best friend for 30 + years and his brother for 5 years. I paid them well and treated them well but when GM came calling with 6 figures, free insurance and 401k there wasn't much I could do. Trying to find experienced tinters was impossible so I auditioned willing participants before hiring them just to see if they had the skills to learn the trade. I hired two that way and trained them and they have been great. I pay them well and try and treat them very well. I also tell them up front they have to sign a non-compete agreement for 5 years and within a 50 mile radius. My lawyer drew one up and they had no problem signing it. As a matter of fact they thought it was only fair. I'm sharing this hoping it may help my fellow tint shop owners. I know all too well that good help is very hard to find in any industry.

We have 4 tinter.....with me (the owner being one of them)...It is easier to find a tinter when you are the tinter.  They will listen and follow your guideline because they know you know the what and how.  My guy get paid a good salary plus commission. I keep the good installer and sample out the bad.  I have went thru over 20 -25 tinter since 2005, but I actually know who good and will stay.  We usually keep them for a while.  The good one that left, left because they move out of town for personal reason. I have 2 tinter that came from a low end shop that I had to train all over again due to bad habit and it is well worth it.  They will be one of the best installer due to our client expectations.  We  do a average of $500 plus per vehicle so paying isn't the problem.....it is breaking their bad habit.

If you are not a tinter....then you might or will get run over by a tinter.  A tinter mind set is not how much your shop overhead is, it is how much you charge on tint.  They know how much material cost and see that you are charging xyz.  I am transparent with my installer as they get a copy of the invoice to keep because they get a percentage of the invoice.  

Here what I recommend...paying a base salary guarantee or % .....which ever is higher at the end of the pay period.

.......pay a base salary plus 4%-6% of window film install

.......straight percentage of each install (self employee if you do this)

If this don't work....then he is not the one....but he only can pick one....and you should highly advise him to pick the guarantee base salary...because it will be slow and if he pick anything else during this slow time....he going to change it up..

On 1/17/2019 at 6:49 PM, vanhorn1 said:

I had the same tinter, my best friend for 30 + years and his brother for 5 years. I paid them well and treated them well but when GM came calling with 6 figures, free insurance and 401k there wasn't much I could do. Trying to find experienced tinters was impossible so I auditioned willing participants before hiring them just to see if they had the skills to learn the trade. I hired two that way and trained them and they have been great. I pay them well and try and treat them very well. I also tell them up front they have to sign a non-compete agreement for 5 years and within a 50 mile radius. My lawyer drew one up and they had no problem signing it. As a matter of fact they thought it was only fair. I'm sharing this hoping it may help my fellow tint shop owners. I know all too well that good help is very hard to find in any industry.

Non-competes are useless and unenforceable and also bs. I worked for a very large high end construction firm in top administration and they wanted me to sign one, my Lawyer said it was a joke and couldn't be enforced and if i couldn't get work because of it i could possibly sue them to continue to pay me for the remainder of the agreement. Also, you're a tint shop, what trade secrets are there that you can't find on youtube or facebook? Waste of time and money. They also don't keep the employee from working for your tint shop competition a block away as a janitor or front desk person or whatever else they'll say they're working there as to keep them putting tint on windows. They happily signed it knowing it won't do anything. Anyone considering a non-compete may want to check state laws, especially CA.

17 hours ago, Roach said:

True. I think I would try and use them too though. If the person signing it doesn't know they aren't enforceable, they might abide by it. Worth a shot. :dunno

I agree, worth a shot. I think that's the basis of most non-competes, kind of the hail mary pass of agreements.

I will add, contracts can be a double edged sword that can backfire.

Edited by Tint Slayer