Why does people laugh at window tinting?

.... I thinking about putting her on the side so she knows what a real side job is. I'm jk, but it seems like she isn't the only one that thinks like that.

Many people feel that way, and while you might be saying that in jest, it's rather important to have at least some support from those around you, especially a SO. 

But I get it all time from customers asking if this is all I do. :dunno  If I'm in the mood I'll come up with something witty in reply - otherwise I just say that thru hard work and dedication I've managed to build a nice business that provides for me and my family. (Currently a family of 1, but it's a family none the less :)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Becoming a full time "window tinter" and being successful over the long term. Takes a fair amount of discipline and time. You need to build a steady repeat client base and have the mindset that you are building a business.. not just making a better days pay than most other people. ..Yes, you can make a very nice living tinting windows. You also need to plan for the times when things are not so good because they will inevitably come. As much as I'm tired of this business.. in December alone we have over 150k in work booked and that's just 1 month. So ..yes.. tinting is a real job.

Also, I have found, when a customer ask if this is all you do, (they aren't necessarily asking to imply, oh, that's nothing attitude), they are mentally depositing for other areas of interest they may have for your skills. They recognize when you can get someone to open up their pocketbook and give you money for something you love doing, they appreciate you and your work.

Can't tell you over the years how many 200 dollar Vehicle installs that I have done and run into doing that customers house, business or boat.

You never know what comes with that next customer. No, that's not all I do????

Cheers

I've been doing this full time for 17 years now and I still get people that ask "you still doing that?"

I also hate when people think that we should remember them from years ago because "there can't be that much work tinting".

All it takes is 1 good break. Your 1 good break could be $10,000 a month from 1 dealership. I'm not saying all delearship will be $10,000, I'm also not saying that $10k is the highest cuz i have seen $30k from 1 dealership. But there is alot of GOOD possibilities out there. There are people that are upset about how and why they started this tinting business. But, so does alot of other businesses. You hold your own path. You can either go full in or half way in but at the end it is all on you on how you want to succeed. For me, this might sound stupid, but I compare my business to how I use to play Basketball and How I use to play video games. I got really good with basketball and made the Varsity team at 5'3. I was top 200 in Call of Duty professional rankings at one point. All those things didn't happen over night. I played basketball for 6 hours EVERYDAY after school trying to perfect every single detail of the game. In order for me to jump high I had to work out. In order for me tod5ribble good I had to do drills. I didn't even shoot the ball most of the time I just did drills. I was crap with Call of Duty, I learned how to be better by studying movements and the mechanics of the game. I got good at it because of my timing and my knowledge of the game. All that is the same thing as tinting, to an extent. If I let all the negativity in this world affect the way I do things I would be homeless. Did you know that majorrity of scientists proves a formula right by trying to disprove it because it's easier to be negative about something than to be positive about it?

Guest Metro Films

Like I had told my girl that I wanted to get into and she said babe that's something you do on the side. I thinking about putting her on the side so she knows what a real side job is. I'm jk, but it seems like she isn't the only one that thinks like that. I honestly feel like if I can manage to do 3 cars a day for 5 days a week it beats clocking in on someone else's clock. I hate asking people can I spend time with my family. Have anyone else get this a lot or is it every blue moon?

Hey England I'm from California and its the same thing here. People don't think it can a "real job" i get this question a lot "what do you do for the winter" and "i didnt know this was a real job" my background is I.T. and the only reason ive stuck it out is because it honestly pays about the same and there's opportunity to have something you can call your own. With I.T. you can have your own thing but it honeslty takes a lot more plus i started in I.T. about the same i started tinting like 5/ 6 years ago at this point i make roughly what an entry level I.T. guy makes. But idk there's no benefits to the tint career i mean like medical and so on. Unless you can manage to make enough. Tint is harder, easier would be to get a degree and clock in. But ive done that can still do that but not going to lie in the last 2 years tint has been good to me but i really feel ownership is key or getting with a big company. I guess i would ask you do you consider yourself business savvy that will really make a difference in your career. Something else you gotta do is expand what you offer IT IS DIFFICULT but possible to survive of tint. My goals is to do all

SECURITY PPF

HOMES. WRAPS

And graffix

CARS

BOATS

Like I had told my girl that I wanted to get into and she said babe that's something you do on the side. I thinking about putting her on the side so she knows what a real side job is. I'm jk, but it seems like she isn't the only one that thinks like that. I honestly feel like if I can manage to do 3 cars a day for 5 days a week it beats clocking in on someone else's clock. I hate asking people can I spend time with my family. Have anyone else get this a lot or is it every blue moon?

Hey England I'm from California and its the same thing here. People don't think it can a "real job" i get this question a lot "what do you do for the winter" and "i didnt know this was a real job" my background is I.T. and the only reason ive stuck it out is because it honestly pays about the same and there's opportunity to have something you can call your own. With I.T. you can have your own thing but it honeslty takes a lot more plus i started in I.T. about the same i started tinting like 5/ 6 years ago at this point i make roughly what an entry level I.T. guy makes. But idk there's no benefits to the tint career i mean like medical and so on. Unless you can manage to make enough. Tint is harder, easier would be to get a degree and clock in. But ive done that can still do that but not going to lie in the last 2 years tint has been good to me but i really feel ownership is key or getting with a big company. I guess i would ask you do you consider yourself business savvy that will really make a difference in your career. Something else you gotta do is expand what you offer IT IS DIFFICULT but possible to survive of tint. My goals is to do all

SECURITY PPF

HOMES. WRAPS

And graffix

CARS

BOATS

Yea man idc about making big money as long as it pays for a nice double wide trailer on some land I'm fine. Right now I work everyday just to make $675 to $800 a month. I feel like anything is better than what I'm doing now. Owning your own is always better to me freedom is priceless.

Archived