GMC & Chevy defective door panels 2014-16

We’ve seen this many times. Considering 50% of our truck jobs are Silverado’s or Tahoe’s or their gmc counterpart. Previous 10 years as a ford dealership technician leads to contacts in other mannys. I spoke with one. He said this is a widely known issue on especially the 14 and 15 models. GM used an unknown company for their “panel protectant”. The dealerships see them constantly from simple water from rain or spills. We even tried plastic covers. But if left u attended the humidity and moisture alone will sweat the coating loose!  GM technician as well as my own advice if this happens. Used a non abrasive white scrub pad and distilled water with a drop of cheap hair conditioner. And scrub the rest of the panel down to remove the top coat evenly. Pat dry and wait 10 min. Good as new. Hope this helps!

Stop the issue before it becomes a problem.  Do not let water touch the door panel...Remove the cover behind door handle, remove 7mm screw, carefully(but firmly) pull back the top portion of the door panel starting at the front and work back, remove the weatherstrip and then tuck a towel over and behind the door panel. 

I agree with high plains on this one , spraying water removes the armor all that is put on new cars, and when a car gets detailed . This happens all the time and then spraying some kind of new armor all or protectant will make it look good again ! I call it shiny spray , have to spray a chemical that makes everything look shiny ! Of course ! 

Edited by Whyme

This problem is going up to the 2017 models also.  I've got one sitting here that is 06/17 and had to pass on it.  The test spot turned white immediately.  

Not doing it.  :nope   

I will have to try and fix the other set of panels that are messed up.  Thanks for the suggestions.  Will let you know how it goes.  :nervous   

I'm not getting it, it just looks like the owner put Armor All or equivalent on the door panels.  I see this on plenty of vehicles since we do not wrap every door panel.  We just dry and reapply a dressing and back to new.  We have done hundreds of these trucks with zero issues.

I don’t know what it is either.  I’m not sure if it’s the Chevy’s, but GMC Denali’s for sure.  

32B7A444-49D4-41D3-ACDB-72DEA43C84DB.jpeg.b2163fb6de20a37a4a3b5b2ff5ceeeb5.jpeg

the more you clean it, the whiter it gets.  It’s not worth the risk to me to try and pull all 4 panels and this still might happen. 

Edited by Bham

4 minutes ago, Bham said:

I don’t know what it is either.  I’m not sure if it’s the Chevy’s, but GMC Denali’s for sure.  

32B7A444-49D4-41D3-ACDB-72DEA43C84DB.jpeg.b2163fb6de20a37a4a3b5b2ff5ceeeb5.jpeg

the more you clean it, the whiter it gets.  It’s not worth the risk to me to try and pull all 4 panels and this still might happen. 

Just grab a bottle of Armor All or another tire/interior dressing, dry the interior and apply a coat.  We see this on 1 out of every 10 vehicles we tint, looks identical to your photos.