LLUMAR films

youd be surprised at how many dont.

I think there is only one that makes 100% of their own film

IDK why a company would even try to make 100% of their own product. you know how expensive that would be? just post your plant up in martinsville by CP and send your film there for what you dont want to make. thats the smart thing to do.

I think global making all their own stuff is a good thing. as they say, it helps them control everything and to keep the costs down. When you build your product from the ground up, it has to be good. Plus, it actually makes it cheaper because say we get a roll for XXXX, the distributor gets it for ---, the company sells it to the distributor for XX, they buy it for X, and they buy their materials(PET or clear plastic) for 1/2X. Follow that?

Basically, if we have a 10x markup(average?), imagine how cheap the plastics itself is to manufacture, and then you add in all the markups along the way, it could easily save them a large amount of money

It's probably is a good thing to make all the components for cost reasons. But who would be more likely to reject

a component if something isn't up to spec?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest scottydosnntkno
youd be surprised at how many dont.

I think there is only one that makes 100% of their own film

IDK why a company would even try to make 100% of their own product. you know how expensive that would be? just post your plant up in martinsville by CP and send your film there for what you dont want to make. thats the smart thing to do.

I think global making all their own stuff is a good thing. as they say, it helps them control everything and to keep the costs down. When you build your product from the ground up, it has to be good. Plus, it actually makes it cheaper because say we get a roll for XXXX, the distributor gets it for ---, the company sells it to the distributor for XX, they buy it for X, and they buy their materials(PET or clear plastic) for 1/2X. Follow that?

Basically, if we have a 10x markup(average?), imagine how cheap the plastics itself is to manufacture, and then you add in all the markups along the way, it could easily save them a large amount of money

It's probably is a good thing to make all the components for cost reasons. But who would be more likely to reject

a component if something isn't up to spec?

the company who makes it themselves, because 1. its much lower cost to them, ie it doesn't cost them much money to have it rerun, and 2. they woudn't have to wait days/weeks for the new material to arrive, they could just run it out themselves.

vertical integration has proven itself to be the best thing quality wise is almost every manufacturing industry. Look at henry ford, his plants had raw ores and materials coming in, and finished cars going out. Everyone was done and controlled in house. These days, the only reason for having outside suppliers is strictly a cost standpoint, due to the large volume of cars built, the necessary all in one facility would be massive.

My dad has always told me that many companies balk at their pricing, because in prototype design and manufacture, you either get Good, Cheap, or Fast. They've built their reputation on not being cheap, so you can see where that leads

IMO I think if a company made their film 100% there would b shortcuts somewhere. specialization is key and if somebodies good at it they are for a reason and im sure it wasnt easy.

you think if they make everything themselves, each aspect is up to par with the big players? lets just say poly, u think its better than duponts?

Guest scottydosnntkno
IMO I think if a company made their film 100% there would b shortcuts somewhere. specialization is key and if somebodies good at it they are for a reason and im sure it wasnt easy.

you think if they make everything themselves, each aspect is up to par with the big players? lets just say poly, u think its better than duponts?

I don't know :drunk high quality plastic is high quality plastic. Plus, its not the plastic that matters most is the 1. dye and 2. adhesive

I don't know :drunk high quality plastic is high quality plastic. Plus, its not the plastic that matters most is the 1. dye and 2. adhesive

I agree with you on that. but I question everything like that.

Guest VaTinterPMan

Wouldn't the crude oil be first? right? From what Howard posted on how film starts? With how it has jumped up so much by the barrel?

Guest VaTinterPMan

They offer more lines of film, yes they are more expensive but not every line of film is. Talking about automotive. Global offers 3 right and Llumar 6.

OK...so Llumar has their Axcess film and security film aimed at auto.....IMO the specs for heat rejection are not high enough to justify the cost on the Axcess film....

They do have more lines of film, but my business model doesn't require any more than one film type. If I needed a ceramic I would look at Geoshield DMC....

Global did have Fusion which was their all metal film...not sure what happened to that as it is not shown on the website....

Archived