New tint yesterday, one window has a bunch of tiny "bubbles"

Guest Blaine B.

It is sad that we live in the "wal-mart" times. Getting nickel and dimed for everything because someone thinks they are making money by selling tinting for those prices. If you break it down on the simple price of film and time involved it LOOKS like good money but when you really incorporate all the costs of doing business it is a losing battle at those prices unless you have a huge volume of business and someone willing to install it quickly for $10 an hour....but you are not going to get quality for that rate either.....

I wish I had the volume to be able to charge less somedays but I am very happy with doing my 2 or 3 car days at my price and not busting out 6 or 8 cars at a much lower price. Quality is what I strive for with speed that has been built out of laboring for the last 14 years doing this.

Show Us Your Tints, James, and myself have worked together both here and up there....I know his work....

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tint Activists

It is sad that we live in the "wal-mart" times. Getting nickel and dimed for everything because someone thinks they are making money by selling tinting for those prices. If you break it down on the simple price of film and time involved it LOOKS like good money but when you really incorporate all the costs of doing business it is a losing battle at those prices unless you have a huge volume of business and someone willing to install it quickly for $10 an hour.

We have two issues here; Product & Labor

Yes, our product is in the "decline" stage of product life cycle - low sales/profit growth, maximum competition from other tint shops or our very own suppliers.

https://www.boundless.com/marketing/products/product-life-cycles/decline/

But, for the labor/installation aspect of it - you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. So don't be picky with cheaper tints.

Yes. I once had a Crown Victoria tinted over 4 years ago for $120 total. That tint was pretty good but they used the marker a bit. I always get 20%. It has faded a bit, but not bad. Sometimes it looks a bit blue, or even a bit purple, if the sun hits it just right (3M film with the adhesive, right?)

ShowUsYourTints was the ONLY shop that actually gave me a bi-fold envelope from the tint manufacturer with all of their warranty information and other information about the tint. (Props!)

The rest of these shops will give you a "receipt" that the shop will warranty the work, but it says nothing about the actual manufacturer's warranty.....so if they go out of business, you're SOL for warranty claims, I would imagine, as you don't even know what brand the film is.

Yes, that sounds about right for a economy job in our area. Dyed non color stable film rough cuts when windows rolled down too.

If thats what you chose you shouldn't be so picky. IMO

All those things either add, or take away, value from the services offered. So for a job where they use a marker a bit... uses film that fades a bit... no manufacturer warranty....

Nothing is wrong with any of that.... as long as the customers are aware of what they are getting for the prices they are being charged.

If you want a job where they don't use a marker... film that doesn't fade... and actually give you a manufacturer's warranty.... all those VALUE added perks.... come with a cost. And rightly so.

My cousin is a little nutty when it comes to prices for things. She thinks people should only charge what *She* thinks is proper for whatever..... for example, right now she is looking for a new truck. So when she finds someone that is selling a truck that she is interested in, but is asking for MORE then say, Kelly Blue Book suggested prices.... she goes off on the sales guy at the car lot. I try to tell her that people are free to charge what THEY want to...

It's no different then with tint. An area might have a 'going rate' for a tint job, but if someone wants to charge more then that, they are more then welcome to charge more. People will either pay it, and their business will grow, or people won't, and they won't last.

Guest Blaine B.

Nothing wrong with a good discussion. It's interesting to hear all of the sides of an issue. Afterall, this is a public "forum".

However, if you are going to offer a service for a set price, I don't think you should expect to get a lesser quality of work. There is only one "right" way to do it, technically. Sure, the film might be cheaper and without warranty....but the work itself should be the same.

If you are going to offer a service for a lesser price than the competitor, you are obligating yourself to do the same quality of work.

Just because a shop charges less does not give them the right to do a lesser quality of work.

Doesn't that make sense?

It seems to me, when I worked a job at minimum wage, I was expected to do the same quality of work as if I was earning $100.00 an hour. The pay rate didn't change the expectations held for me as an employee.

the work being the same.....

Mercedes are just vehicles right so they should be the same price as a Kia? They are after all just made of metal, plastic, rubber, glass and put together in factories by people.

All Blu-ray players should be the same price? All hamburgers? Steaks?

Guest Blaine B.

As I said, the product may be worth less or more, but the workmanship should all be the same.

A Kia shouldn't have misaligned body panels just because it's cheaper....as an example.

There is a difference between the price and quality of the product, and how that product is assembled or applied. That's the difference between product and workmanship/work ethic/skill.

Archived