2017 civic hatchback

APTINT

Template glass is a great investment, only if you look forward to work on plenty. I've noticed that lowering the price and not doing the rear window at all makes these cheapo customers more happy.

Edited by lorenzotint
content clarity

I want to thank all of you good folks in this forum for the tips and suggestions...I had my first one of these to do today. I was ready and willing to completely disassemble the rear of the car to make this one a success. A good friend of mine sent me a 17 minute long video of the disassembly process...I watched it and then another video comes up with a guy from Detroit who mentions he is going to give it a try without disassembly. His cutting software suggests that he plot the window, place it on the car and shrink everything from the wiper and above at the top of the window, then slide it up and shrink the bottom. Place it on the inside and you are good to go...well the first attempt didn't work well for him so he tried again this time not peeling the film and shrinking the bottom on the inside of the window first...Here is the link to that video: 

I tried this method and worked like a charm the first time...no waste, no disassembly, no headaches. Done in about 30 min. Some of you here mentioned the same approach or some form of it...I am grateful for your help as always. 

On 11/9/2016 at 8:19 PM, gospeed3go said:

did one for the dealer myself last week. took all the crap apart and did it that way almost want to just say eff it and see if i cant just vynil the bottom half on the inside somehow. but if people want to pay more to have it taken apart and done right than im for that too i guess. 

I just did one last weekend and didn’t even look at this thread. I definitely undercharged for this car. My new price will reflect the pain in the arse this car is. First I tried cheating by shrinking the top half first then lifting and anchor higher to shrink the bottom half but there was too many fingers still. I proceeded to lay it on the inside and shrink with a mattac but that didn’t go well. I ended up removing bottom spoiler and all associated trim. What a pain this car was. Not hard but a pain to do by yourself. I called my local dealer and can get this for $540. Some of the other suggestions might work for me as I’m using film design and they have a two piece pattern that looks like it’s cut right on a defrost line below the rear spoiler. I might just have to Vinly the lower half. This would require no removal of any trim pieces. We’ll see I don’t like the idea of two piece unless it’s necessary like a top dot matrix. 

15 minutes ago, smookee408@yahoo.com said:

I just did one last weekend and didn’t even look at this thread. I definitely undercharged for this car. My new price will reflect the pain in the arse this car is. First I tried cheating by shrinking the top half first then lifting and anchor higher to shrink the bottom half but there was too many fingers still. I proceeded to lay it on the inside and shrink with a mattac but that didn’t go well. I ended up removing bottom spoiler and all associated trim. What a pain this car was. Not hard but a pain to do by yourself. I called my local dealer and can get this for $540. Some of the other suggestions might work for me as I’m using film design and they have a two piece pattern that looks like it’s cut right on a defrost line below the rear spoiler. I might just have to Vinly the lower half. This would require no removal of any trim pieces. We’ll see I don’t like the idea of two piece unless it’s necessary like a top dot matrix. 

Make sure you call the glass company direct...like Pilkington.  I paid $200 getting it through a mobile glass guy we know, but I am sure he made atleast $40/50 for picking up and dropping it off to us.

5 minutes ago, DynamicATL said:

Make sure you call the glass company direct...like Pilkington.  I paid $200 getting it through a mobile glass guy we know, but I am sure he made atleast $40/50 for picking up and dropping it off to us.

I tried this when the car was just released and it was no lie 800 bucks, but I guess they must have a ton of other brands making them now

42 minutes ago, blackoutauto said:

I tried this when the car was just released and it was no lie 800 bucks, but I guess they must have a ton of other brands making them now

I first tried Safelite which didn't have the glass, but could get it for like $450.  Pilkington was also right down the street from me and they make OEM glass for tons of manufacturers including Toyota, General Motors, Chrysler, Ford, VW, Renault/Nissan, Fiat, Honda, Peugeot-Citroën and BMW.  They had one instock, but didn't feel like opening an account with them, so hit up the guy to see what he would charge me...I actually think it was around $240.  We have tinted around 10 of them now with the separate glass and love it.

Edited by DynamicATL

14 hours ago, DynamicATL said:

Score!!!!! I called a friend that owns a windshield replacement company. . I’m tinting his front windshield on an S550 in exchange for the back glass. 😎

Edited by smookee408@yahoo.com