ISIS in Ausie

Ok.....

Probably not the info for a public forum

But here goes.

I have access to guns, in Australia that would be illegally of course.

I've had guns

I've used guns

I've been at my worst and blind drunk running through a pub wielding one at people and coincidentally spend a number of years in prison for this

This was at a young age where I guess you could say I was quite confused.

Now, a lawful respectful community member, but more importantly, father I can not imagine anyone let alone my son being in a bad place and being able to access any weapons that may al cause others harm. I would never want my son let alone somebody else to be able to use a weapon for any benefit to them self no matter what it was.

I was a bad guy and the idea I can get a firearm illegally so easy is ridiculous. What in the world would an average person need a firearm for? Protection?

Your telling me you honestly have a gun for strictly protection, and not for power?

If everyone who has a gun has a gun for protection only there would be a lot of sad sad people. When you need a gun for protection you are in a very bad way and I can absolutely guarantee that you tj do not have a gun for "protection" rather because you can. You are fully aware of what that gun can do and you have it for that. Not to protect yourself from someone else with a gun, that statement is hypocritical as it can be.

I will train my son to fight when he becomes a boy to protect himself from someone who wants to pick a fight with him.

The thought he could go and procure a gun, let alone an assault rifle, is f'n ridiculous.

From someone who never liked authority,

Leave the guns to the people who deserve the power to use it

The police and the army, who are protection.by the way if someone broke in my house there are plenty of kitchen knives around I would use straight away

I don't need a gun to protect my family if someone threatened to harm my family no bullet would stop me from saving them

Gun control? You shouldn't be given the choice to just procure guns like that

And I'm definitely no fool

35, are you seriously telling me that you feel that if you or your family were threatened by someone with a gun, that you would somehow transform yourself into Batman and stop said thug with your super powers ? .... That's delusional. I'm sure that if a would be criminal stopped at the local police station and informed them that he had a illegal weapon and was on his way to your place to inflict harm to your family... There is a chance the authorities would be there in time to take control of the situation. Although there are clearly people in the US that have acquired weapons legally and should not have them, The process to attain them is very demanding where I am. Actually one of the most difficult states in all of the US. If someone has a LTC here, I feel pretty good about their mental state and ability to use good judgment and control. ( waving one around a bar is not my idea of a good idea ) hopefully you never find yourself in a place where you are unarmed and wish you were. Deadly force is always the last possible option and least desirable outcome. But if it comes down to it, And it is him or me/ my family... I will do whatever it takes to protect what's mine.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So your telling me that if you own a gun, you've never had it in your hands to just simply "admire it" to clean it and look at it whatever reason besides there was someone around who was trying to hurt you with another gun?

If the answer is yes then you do enjoy the power of it.... which is in your head.

ok probably wouldn't turn into batman and dodge bullets but no I don't need a gun to protect my family.... period.

maybe because I live in a different world to you guys why my opinion seems different.

One thing you can't disagree with though,

The circulation of firearms is much higher there than here and strictly because it is readily available legally, 100%

If "gun control" could reduce the risk of my son or some other innocent kid getting shot up at school by some other kid in a bad way who stole a gun from his parents, I would give up my right to bear arms straight away, not call for more guns after the 18th time and ask for teachers to carry guns.....

So your telling me that if you own a gun, you've never had it in your hands to just simply "admire it" to clean it and look at it whatever reason besides there was someone around who was trying to hurt you with another gun?

If the answer is yes then you do enjoy the power of it.... which is in your head.

I don't believe that equates to owning a gun for the "power"of it. I'd say it indicates respect.

Even we non-carrying people know that a gun is something that needs to be checked and maintained :twocents

But I honestly do agree with your point tom... I'm not some peace flaring hippy, but honestly, more people die that shouldn't. If we have a gun problem in sydney which we very much do our answer isn't more guns because we know that will largen the problem tenfold.

much you could say is like the gun problem in the states.

its the culture there so maybe it's too late

E.g. someone said should we outlaw knives or trucks? I've never used a gun to cut my steak and that's an obscure argument. The only argument for is protection but you guys can't say everyone has a gun for this alone

Everyone has the right to their own opinion and I respect that. Understand that the majority of the mass shootings here have been done at "soft" targets. Those are places where the shooter knows there is little to no armed resistance in their way ( schools, malls, shopping centers, movie theaters ) Typically they do not go shoot up gun stores, gun shows, bars in Texas, police stations, although we did just have someone ambush a police station in PA. On occasion a military base will be targeted but all have been sleeping quarters where no weapons were available for defense....My point is that a strong defense is the best offense. Isis cut the heads off two men who has their hands tied behind their back, those guys are cowards. The men were defenseless. They had the same plans for civilians in your homeland. I would not be willing to just take my chances unarmed. The world is changing and has been for decades, just seams like it is escalating at a faster pace. I wish you the best.

I hear ya 35, but just just to be clear, I'm not calling for more guns. Nor do I think that more guns will solve the problem. 

This topic hits home for me because I grew up in a divided house on guns. My father received his first rifle for his 12 birthday. Kept it loaded and next to his bed because it was his job to take care of the coyote, weasel and fox that would raid the chicken coup. He had 7 other siblings and the 6 boys all had their own rifles when they came of age, pretty much all their friends were the same and had rifles. These guns were also used to slaughter the pigs and cows to put food on the table, rescued a beloved pet from coyote or helped end the suffering if the pet was sick or injured etc.... Not one family member can recall a school shooting or an accidental shooting in their community. And there was HELL to pay if any kid was caught mishandling their gun, I can only remember 2 stories of that happening and it wasn't a situation of messing around, more of being absent minded with it.

On the other side my mother has been strongly opposed to guns since she was 12 yrs old, when she witnessed her 8 yr old brother accidentally shot and killed by a friends older brother who was playing with a gun. She lived in a very similar community not too far from my father, everyone had guns it was just as common as a hammer or saw in the shed. But the friends family was dealing with an alcoholic father that would disappear on binges at the time, which likely set the stage for such events. 

I have the highest respect these two people, and have no doubt the world is a better place because of them. But they are divided on this issue, with good reason given their past history with firearms. On one hand one family has been devastated by this object and another family has prospered from the help of it. Who is right......? Both have such strong cases for their arguments.

I still believe it comes down to exposure, education and supervision. This starts at home, where the guns are found. There seems to be a trend with society, and it's not for the better. I don't believe taking guns away will fix this fatal flaw, just pacify it until if finds a new outlet.

I just don't like seeing people who own guns automatically vilified, like the power statement.  :twocents

Gotta admit I do agree with both of you.....

I also must admit my opinion is based an a whole population instead of individuals and I know it's individuals who ruin it so at the same time it's kind of an educated guess.

Maybe I shouldn't vilify everyone who owns a gun I do wish I could take my boy shooting when he grows up as I honestly enjoyed it when I was younger.

I guess it's a shame we can't realistically give it to all of our population without them abusing the privilege which is what would happen.

I won't lie and say when I come to the states I won't be going to a rifle range and firing away lol I just believe giving it freely to a population creates a problem

As said before I've never used a gun to cut my steak, but, there's always points for and against....

How did this end up on TD.....

All so, your right tom, there were plans to capture an innocent man and behead them in the middle of our "wall street" which is scary. Thank god our federal police have the ability to catch them out beforehand which has happened many times

There you go. Last night in Melbourne.

Aparent ISIS member. 18 years old could only get a hold of a knife.

stabbed 2 police officers and was shot dead.

Aren't those two cops lucky he didn't have a gun

Archived