XPEL Moves Out of Texas.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is reality here in Canada, I get the call, i've been dreading all weekend, today from my long time supplier Shadow Shield in Calgary. They will no longer be a supplier of DAP software, and most likely ( but did not get confirmation on this) Xpel film!

They started me in the industry 9 years ago. Have been my loyal distributor for film and DAP software since day 1. These guys live and breath PPF and tint, all day long. Nuno is a great man, and his staff are second to no one!! Nuno ran Xpel for a year or two to get things back on track when a former management group dam near ran it into the ground! maybe a few of you guys in here know about that , maybe some of you don't.

So to watch this unfold!, and see Nuno basically get slapped in the FACE! makes me sick to my stomach. I will not buy from another distributor. This is like Silverbullet touched on, A way to monopolize an industry in an area. Well there are allot more pissed off northern installers than just me, let me tell you.

That's all I have to say for now.

Looks like XPEL made a power play in Canada.

Buying Parasol of Canada which had 79 installation facilities / franchises.

Buckle your seat belts boys and girls.

And what is the negative to this?

Nothing for you, yet. But it does fall in line with what this thread was about. Xpel is expanding out into the installation business instead of just manufacturing film. So you can bet no matter what they say they will expand installation into every market they can and yet that will take business away from the installers already there promoting Xpel products. Pretty simple to understand.

What is pretty simple to understand is this is a bashing thread often with people jumping to conclusions. Sounds like some people have some relevant issues and it sounds like some people are finding anything they can to unload about. You now install Suntek so smile and keep doing what you are doing.

Do not tell me what I can and cannot do. Thank you. Second if you know the history of this you would know there has been a LOT of lying coming out of Xpel. I have been personally told one thing on the phone only to see something else happen. And when I called him out on it I was given a BS answer that I would expect a politician to say. So no I am not looking at bashing. I am in here to see that these situations that are happening here (not in Australia where you are the Xpel fanboy) is brought into the open and is discussed in the open in writing. Period. Notice Xpel avoids a lot of the points and will not post them here for everyone to see. I wonder why??? I get PMs and phone calls all of the time yet nothing in writing for everyone to see. So if anything you enjoy your little isolate market in Oz and let us discuss the issues that affect us.

Oh and if you believe Xpel pays the for THEIR film the same price that independent installers do than you are an idiot. Surely you cant be that gullible. Maybe you need a little more experience in the industry (since you just started less than a year ago) I have been doing this for almost 13 years now so I have a little better grasp on it as I have seen a lot of poor business practices. And since you seem to want to refer back to page one you will see the same issues are being talked about. Xpel opening installations shops in markets that already had Xpel installers. Again something that doesn't affect you, yet.

Again all I have said is some people have relevant facts and some are grasping to anything. You have absolutely no facts to anything about wages and manufacturers discounts yet you call me an idiot for thinking on the contrary :crazy  yes that makes me the idiot. Im sure it happens but back up your statements in a public forum, it happens all the time in EVERY area of business. Do you think there are people out there that aren't getting better deals than you on Suntek? on the tools you use?

You guys would last 2 seconds in the vehicle wrapping world. Competition getting better discounts from the manufacturers means they can offer better pricing. The manufacturers are making t seem they are looking after you when you know they are also looking after your competitors. Could only imagine how you guys would handle that.

OOOh a year into PPF makes me less experienced to peoples poor attitudes? lol 2 years of MY OWN business doesn't mean no experience working at all. I got involved in this as people are using a public forum to publicly bash a company that does give their time to assist people on here. They then try to defend themselves and get told 'very corporate of you to do so Jeff', I personally commend them for being able to be so calm.

I never said there was no valid points if you were to actually read my posts instead of reading one or two lines that offend you. It was clear that some people were just rattling off stuff with no backing '50% discount on materials' '50-75% discount on materials' surely you cant see that's wrong to do? I know plenty of installers in Australia get a better discount from he distributor than me on Xpel. I also know before Xpel I was looking at 3M and again offered a price nowhere near to what the local competitor was getting.

Again read my posts and see what I was trying to say rather then once again jump on the bashing boat by reading what you want. Have always said that some people seem to have valid points and I feel for them if it is affecting their business.

Probably also time for you to take down all your Xpel marketing from your website.... or is it being used to help your business .... Don't want to come across as still being a 'fanboy'...

No worries and understand we all share our valid points with factoids...just understand that 2 + 2 = 4 not 8 :lol Something smells in Denmark and doesn't add up here...supply agreement or not the pricing advantage and the DAP control will make anyone's head spin.

Although this is an opinion only, their are far better fits in Canada than Parasol.

Independent Installers in Canada will prevail...stay the course friends and deliver your value to your customers!

No worries and understand we all share our valid points with factoids...just understand that 2 + 2 = 4 not 8 :lol Something smells in Denmark and doesn't add up here...supply agreement or not the pricing advantage and the DAP control will make anyone's head spin.

Although this is an opinion only, their are far better fits in Canada than Parasol.

Independent Installers in Canada will prevail...stay the course friends and deliver your value to your customers!

I completely understand the value of the relationship you have with your current distributor.  Nuno and his crew are exactly as described, dedicated, knowledgeable, and experienced.  I consider Nuno, Beno, and Sean to be good friends of mine, even if the ppf industry dissappeared tomorrow.  

Here are a few things to consider when it comes to Canada:

1.  By eliminating distribution and selling direct, it helps XPEL to keep film costs lower for installers.  This is something that is increasingly important if the Canadian currency continues to lose value against the US dollar.  Film companies relying on independent distributors will have no choice but to increase pricing at a more aggressive rate in a market that is already very price sensitive.  

2.  For the same reason mentioned above, this also allows XPEL to pump more money back into the Canadian market in the form of advertising and promotion to drive business to XPEL film users.

XPEL's ablity to sell direct to customers will be beneficial to independent installers.  

At the end of the day we all want is best for installers and their will be a time when material will be a commodity, which will create labor conflicts.

So if you are in the installation business...their are pros and cons to all of this banter and challenges that XPEL's model has presented.

One of quotes you mentioned is scary "XPEL's ablity to sell direct to customers will be beneficial to independent installers." are you saying XPEL is going to sell direct kits to consumers and sub contract labor? 

When you eliminate distribution - which you have not done so with Parasol you create more profits for XPEL and the distribution channel finds alternative solutions to sell against.

There are several companies that sell direct already which will never change the dynamics of how and who to buy from...installers and consumers make those choices.

Distributors do not increase prices, manufacturers manage price fluctuation. ISO Manufacturers will have a field day with not increasing prices and become very aggressive.

XPEL pumping more money back into the Canadian market to drive business through Parasol's accounts maybe...XPEL never had many other users in Canada beside's Parasol's account base :lol !

We will have material costs driven downward and at the same time labor fee's over time will spiral and become very competitive which either scenario is not good for the industry.

Increase in volume is great when you have both material and labor making a profit, however with this model...volume means more work for less money.

Good Luck

I should have been more clear with that statement.  When I said "customers," I was referring to installers.

By acquiring Parasol, there is no "middle man" that has to markup the film to make money, which allows us to better control the cost to installers.  Does this mean that XPEL might make more profit?  Sure, but that's how we will be able to invest in the marketing/advertising to drive more business to installers.  As an installer, it would be like having the option to get paid wholesale or retail rates for the same job.  A smart installer would take the additional income and reinvest it into growing his or her business.  Your comment about the number of XPEL installers in Canada is precisely the reason this is so important.

I sincerely doubt you will see material costs being driven downward, especially considering the exchange rates of Canadian currency.  If all brands of film are shipping from the US and are subject to these declining exchange rates, they will all face the same struggles with maintaining low price points.  Those with fewer "hands in the pot" will be better equipped to deal with situations like this.  Even if material costs were to magically go down, that would allow for a bigger target market, which means more work, and in turn, more labor revenue for the installer.

As for labor rates, those are determined by the marketplace (installers and consumers) and are more closely tied to quality, service, and speed than anything else.  A good example is in Seattle, one of the more saturated markets in the US, certain installers charge 30% - 50% more than their competitors and keep their shop slammed full all day, every day.  They do that by filling a need with quality and a high level of service.

A film company's primary role is to provide a quality product, training and support to their dealer base.  If a company can go beyond that, and drive business to installers by creating more demand for their product set it is a win for everyone.  By having more demand, there is more work to go around for everyone, which means there is less reason for cut-throat competition between installers, which would actually help to avoid eroding margins.  SImple supply and demand.

I will carry you guys ppf if you give me support.....We are the best!!!!!!!!! I guess we need to be with the best!!!!! Free software and a free roll of film you might have my business......

Wait! Aren't you a 3m guy? Don't you already think you carry the best?

Archived